Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Add to Yettel

tymama

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 6:51 pm
I want to name my baby (if a girl) after my grandmother. Her name was Yettlel and would like to add a name before or after. Something current and pretty. Doesn't have to traditional, just goes well with Yettel. Any ideas?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 7:30 pm
Brocha

It should be a "brocha" that you named her Yettel.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 7:36 pm
Nechama Yettel

climbing613

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:33 pm
Sara Yettel

ProudMommie

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:18 am
Yettel Gita

blossoming

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:26 am
Yocheved Yettel
Meira Yettel
Ayala Yettle
Yettle Shira

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:49 am
Pls ask a shayla before u do this to ur daughter.
Maybe u can find a hebrew name which is similar and wont set ur daughter up for a lifetime of being teased.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 2:58 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Maybe u can find a hebrew name which is similar and wont set ur daughter up for a lifetime of being teased.

what?? not at all! though Yentel is more common.

nameless

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:21 am
Depends what circles you run in, if Yiddish names are common or not.

tymama

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:50 am
notshanarishona wrote:

She was a very special woman and meant a lot to me. Of course I would call her by the second name

tymama

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:52 am
blossoming wrote:
Yocheved Yettel
Meira Yettel
Ayala Yettle
Yettle Shira

I like Ayala Yettel

Thanks!

Eishes Chaim

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 3:58 am
notshanarishona wrote:

This!
There are so many kids who were names interesting names. If this name is common in your circles, than go right ahead. But, if you have to think twice, rather go with something that the kid won't be embarrassed of.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:33 am
there is NOTHING wrong with using a family name and naming after a good person! OP is adding a name and she's aware the the name yettel is not popular, that's why she's adding a second name!

To the people who suggested that is sounds like yentel, I think this name is from the name yetta. I happen to know a family who has a deceased grandparent with the name Yetta. There are many girls named after her and go by the nickname of "Yetty". Some added a second name but most did not.

OP - does your family know the meaning of the name? Can you choose a second name with a similar meaning?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:38 am
Or be yourself, be a trendsetter (which I did NOT want to be with my kids names but happened anyway LOL!), be often surprised that there are others, be aware that we can't live OUR life looking over our shoulder what others do, be confident and be grateful toYettel zal by naming after her and picking her over fashion.

Btw, Yettel is not even so out there. People may mix up with Yentel. Big deal. My name is common and still constantly mispronounced to Rashel, Rael... you can't win.

tymama

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
there is NOTHING wrong with using a family name and naming after a good person! OP is adding a name and she's aware the the name yettel is not popular, that's why she's adding a second name!

To the people who suggested that is sounds like yentel, I think this name is from the name yetta. I happen to know a family who has a deceased grandparent with the name Yetta. There are many girls named after her and go by the nickname of "Yetty". Some added a second name but most did not.

OP - does your family know the meaning of the name? Can you choose a second name with a similar meaning?

I think Hebrew version is yocheved but don't know where name is from. She was from Gernany.
I have a middle name that's not common at all but I'm proud of it because since I was little my mother would tell me how special the person was who I'm named after. So it never bothered me and I'm proud of it. Hopefully my daughter will feel the same.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:18 am
Yettel is like Yentel is like Gentille in French which can be nice or gentle which can be Adina in Hebrew.
So Adina Yettle is kefel shem, like Hirsch Tzvi, Zeev Wolf or any other yiddish Hebrew combination that was always so common in Europe.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:25 am
Heard from Yocheved or Yentel (root for noble). Beider says Yehudit though imvho I think from Yehudit is more Yittel...

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 6:29 am
Ruchel you are right from what I know from old yekkish relatives Yiddl is short for yehidesil which is Yehudis. While Yettle is Yentel is....as I wrote before.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 7:10 am
My niece is Malka Yittel and we call her by both names. Flows very nicely. The only loving "tease" is when we call her "Malka little" I think her Yittel is for Yehudis because if I remember correctly the grandmother she is named after was a Judith who was called Lily anyways...

(anon because someone on this thread knows her and I don't wanna give away my screename)

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 7:11 am
My niece is Malka Yittel and we call her by both names. Flows very nicely. The only loving "tease" is when we call her "Malka little" I think her Yittel is for Yehudis because if I remember correctly the grandmother she is named after was a Judith who was called Lily anyways...

(anon because someone on this thread knows her and I don't wanna give away my screename)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names