Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a Magic Mill flat lid crockpot worth the $$$?

spinkles

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 8:15 am
Our crockpot broke so we're looking to get a new one. I'm thinking of getting the Magic Mill because in the winter when I leave a plata or a blech on, our heating sensor gets confused and thinks it's hot in the house, so the furnace doesn't go on much over Shabbos, and we're freezing. The flat top on the Magic Mill crocktop would let me warm up stuff without messing up the heat in the house. But they're so expensive! Would appreciate hearing people's opinions on whether they're worth the money. Thanks!

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 8:42 am
You can take any crickpot lid and flip it over, just remove the handle or cover it with foil. Then use the lid to heat stuff on. It doesnt need to be a special lid.

Eta - I just looked up the crick pot. Am I looking at the wrong ones? I dont see what is different about the lid.

questioner

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 11:07 am
Is that the crockpot that was advertised by the Buzz and the other frum stores? With a built in blech and knob cover? My friend has one and says that the temperature is never good. I think she said that the blech was too good and the cholent didn't get fully done.
I have a "regular" crockpot and flip over the lid to heat things on.

kb

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 11:39 am
The magic mill is not the 'frum' one from the Buzz. (Which I have. It's the first crock pot I've ever used, and it took a while to figure out the temperatures. Could be the temperatures are different than other crock pots - can't say - but they're consistent week after week, so once you get used to it it's fine.)

Depends how often you heat up food. It is nice to have a flat topped cover.

Chickpea

Post Thu, Aug 07 2014, 12:38 pm
I have the 6 qt magic mill and I'm really happy with it, as opposed to my other slow cookers where the heating elements broke in less than a year. The magic milI consistently heats up food evenly and quickly, with no burning on the bottom. My cholent is fully cooked in just three hrs so I can put it up later in the day. My only caveat: I bought it amongst other reasons, for the glass lid. However, when you invert it the bottom of the lid squooshes into the food, so can't use it that way. I recommend that you buy the next size up. Right before Shabbos I place a piece of aluminum foil over the heating tray. No big deal. Also, I personally would be afraid of flipping a lid with a plastic handle, even when covering it with foil. I don't know if the heat would cause chemicals from the plastic to leach into the food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics