Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Divider between Michig and fleish?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 9:17 pm
Do you have a divider between milchag and fleish? Is it permanent or movable. Would you put one in if you were redoing your kitchen?

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:00 pm
what are you talking about? A room divider splitting the kitchen?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:04 pm
A divider on the counter standing up about 3 inches. They make then fixed or movable. The movable ones are not easy to move but can be moved if you need extra space.

Lady Godiva

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:13 pm
I didn't know people put a mechitza between meat and dairy! Do the dairy dishes peek through the cracks at the meat ones?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:17 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I didn't know people put a mechitza between meat and dairy! Do the dairy dishes peek through the cracks at the meat ones?

OP here: LOL I didn't know it either. The choice is fixed or movable. How do people know where milk and meat ends if it is a long countertop? Before I had completely separate spaces.

kb

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:21 pm
I don't see what the point of a movable one is. If the counter is dairy, it's dairy regardless where you move the divider and vice versa.

I have one that came with my kitchen and I don't like it - I need more counter space than is available to me and I end up putting down a liner and using dairy on the meat side too. Though come to think of it, maybe it's a good thing! That way I can't forget where the classification changes.

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:33 pm
I fail to see the value of such a thing. As kb says, the counter is what it is regardless of where you put the divider. It seems to me that a divider would be a nuisance when you're trying to clean. If you're already redoing your kitchen, why can't you design it so the sinks are in the center with equal counter space on each side?

My tiny kitchen has a freestanding sink and no counter space whatsoever. My kitchen table is my workspace. I have zero problem. The table surface is milchik, and I cover it with a plastic tablecloth when I'm in fleishik mode. If you're not in a position to redo your kitchen and have only one counter, do what I do: use a plastic tablecloth or runner --or get a slab of Formica cut to size, as people do for Pesach--for the denomination you use less often, and put the stuff away after you're finished using it.

cbg

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:36 pm
I have an L shape kitchen with milchigs on one side and fleishigs on the other my milchig microwave is in the corner and acts as the divider. Everyone that comes (guests) that help me in the kitchen easily know which side is milchig and which side is fleishig.
Do you have a lot of people over that may accidentally use the wrong side?
If yes I suggest you have a divider of some sort.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:45 pm
zaq wrote:
I fail to see the value of such a thing. As kb says, the counter is what it is regardless of where you put the divider. It seems to me that a divider would be a nuisance when you're trying to clean. If you're already redoing your kitchen, why can't you design it so the sinks are in the center with equal counter space on each side?

My tiny kitchen has a freestanding sink and no counter space whatsoever. My kitchen table is my workspace. I have zero problem. The table surface is milchik, and I cover it with a plastic tablecloth when I'm in fleishik mode. If you're not in a position to redo your kitchen and have only one counter, do what I do: use a plastic tablecloth or runner --or get a slab of Formica cut to size, as people do for Pesach--for the denomination you use less often, and put the stuff away after you're finished using it.

The sinks have to go in front of the windows. There is no natural divide between the meat and milk side. ITA it appears to be a nuisance to clean.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:49 pm
cbg wrote:
I have an L shape kitchen with milchigs on one side and fleishigs on the other my milchig microwave is in the corner and acts as the divider. Everyone that comes (guests) that help me in the kitchen easily know which side is milchig and which side is fleishig.
Do you have a lot of people over that may accidentally use the wrong side?
If yes I suggest you have a divider of some sort.

I have an L shaped kitchen also but the meat side is the short side plus it goes around to the long side. I only need about 25% if my counter for diary. The island is pareve.

Do you think the divider should be the same as the countertop? Do you think it should be fixed or movable? I am getting the countertops made now so I have to make the decision.

kb

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:52 pm
You know what would be cool?! If you could have an extra layer to the counter fitted that could flip up against the back splash! Do you could have the entire counter be either one or the other depending on what you were doing. Just an idea. I have no idea if such a thing is even possible.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:55 pm
kb wrote:
You know what would be cool?! If you could have an extra layer to the counter fitted that could flip up against the back splash! Do you could have the entire counter be either one or the other depending on what you were doing. Just an idea. I have no idea if such a thing is even possible.

That would be a really great idea for a smaller kitchen. I have plenty of countertop. I need to make a decision regarding this divider. DH thinks I will never use it unless it is fixed. I don't want to spend money on something I won't use and don't need that is hard to clean to boot.

kb

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:58 pm
Then I wouldn't get one. But you should have some way of telling someone who works in your kitchen where the dairy part starts. Perhaps the counter on top of these two drawers, or something like that.

But I wouldn't get a divider. It just gets in the way and makes the counter look messy even when there's nothing on it.

And I still don't get what the point of a movable divide is.

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:
I have an L shaped kitchen also but the meat side is the short side plus it goes around to the long side. I only need about 25% if my counter for diary. The island is pareve.

Do you think the divider should be the same as the countertop? Do you think it should be fixed or movable? I am getting the countertops made now so I have to make the decision.

why not decide what part of the counter to dedicate to each denomination, and have a different color countertop for each denomination? A divider is just going to get in the way and be a nuisance. On the occasions when you need more space of one denomination or the other, use a plastic runner or aluminum foil or something to cover the counter of the opposite denomination.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:00 am
kb wrote:
Then I wouldn't get one. But you should have some way of telling someone who works in your kitchen where the dairy part starts. Perhaps the counter on top of these two drawers, or something like that.

But I wouldn't get a divider. It just gets in the way and makes the counter look messy even when there's nothing on it.

And I still don't get what the point of a movable divide is.

The movable divider is for when you need more workspace on one side or the other.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:08 am
zaq wrote:
why not decide what part of the counter to dedicate to each denomination, and have a different color countertop for each denomination? A divider is just going to get in the way and be a nuisance. On the occasions when you need more space of one denomination or the other, use a plastic runner or aluminum foil or something to cover the counter of the opposite denomination.

I don't think different colors would work in this kitchen esthetically. I have too much going on already. I don't know how to break the space unless I just say something like the edge of the cook top is milk.

freidasima

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:15 am
Why does one halochically even need to differentiate between counters? Do you put down hot cooked food on that counter such as boiled macaroni with bubbling cheese sauce WITHOUT A PLATE BENEATH IT? Same goes for meat, do you use your counter as a cutting board for cooked meat that is warm? From what I know if food is cold and the counter is cold there is no inyan of absorbing. If you are talking about spills or splatters, once again is it a hot spill or splatter? I can see that happening right next to a stovetop, with spillover but in general?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:23 am
freidasima wrote:
Why does one halochically even need to differentiate between counters? Do you put down hot cooked food on that counter such as boiled macaroni with bubbling cheese sauce WITHOUT A PLATE BENEATH IT? Same goes for meat, do you use your counter as a cutting board for cooked meat that is warm? From what I know if food is cold and the counter is cold there is no inyan of absorbing. If you are talking about spills or splatters, once again is it a hot spill or splatter? I can see that happening right next to a stovetop, with spillover but in general?

OP here. What you are saying makes sense. If I understand correctly, only the perimeter around the cook tops is important?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:32 am
Why don't you just eyeball a divider based on the cabinets or drawers above or below the counter? I would not put anything on the counters personally, but we follow the halachic opinion that our counters don't become milchig or fleishig based on how we use them.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:38 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen