Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you do sticker charts what abt Shabbos?

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 11:59 am
I've recently implemented sticker charts with my 3 year old and they're working very well. But what about on Shabbos when you can't use stickers? He was disappointed yesterday that certain things normally warranting a sticker didn't get them. I told him he would after Shabbos but that was a long time for him to wait and anyway he was sleeping before it ended...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:02 pm
Ask your rabbi. Some hold that stickers are not muktzeh, especially for a child so young.

Another thing you can try, is to tell him that he'll get twice as much the next day to catch up. That might be exciting enough for him. On Sunday tell him "This is your Shabbos sticker from yesterday when you were so good, and this one is for today. Now you have TWO!"

If that doesn't work, you can say "No stickers on Shabbos" and give him an M&M, parve lentil candy or something small like that for a treat instead. That would make Shabbos extra sweet, and could really help set Shabbos as a special day for him. Hey, he might be extra good for you on Shabbos to get those candies! Very Happy

Bruria

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:15 pm
How about candy instead of stickers just on Shabbos?
Just remembered, I have a friend that instead of having a sticker chart she has a paper clock she made , that way there are no issues on Shabbos.

animeme

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:22 pm
You can put a paper clip on the edge of the chart for each sticker earned (the colorful ones are fun). He can see those going on. Then the next morning he can count them as they get taken off and trade each one for a sticker.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:26 pm
We have a shabbos sticker board. It is a laminated page, and laminated circles with pictures of ribbons on them. There is Velcro on the circles, and then the other half of the velcro on the 10 squares on the front, and on the back to store the circles that haven't been earned.

For things that require doing for a certain length of time, we have a sand timer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics