Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Ice bucket challenge
1  2  Next

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:19 am
Anyone here challenged?
I was challenged by a fellow imamother.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 7:59 am
never heard

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 12:50 pm
I wasn't challenged and I can't imagine myself doing it but I do know people who were and did it and I think it is an amazing thing.

The way this has gotten so much press must be amazing for the ALS research. They have collected like $5mil or something.
Amongst the people who have done it are Bill Gates, Anna Wintour, Mark Zuckerberg...pretty cool.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:10 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
I wasn't challenged and I can't imagine myself doing it but I do know people who were and did it and I think it is an amazing thing.

The way this has gotten so much press must be amazing for the ALS research. They have collected like $5mil or something.
Amongst the people who have done it are Bill Gates, Anna Wintour, Mark Zuckerberg...pretty cool.

Closer to $23 million.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:17 pm
More than 31 million.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:25 pm
Barbara wrote:
Closer to $23 million.

Yes just came to edit my post, I read $5mil last weekend now it is close to $23million!!

George Bush did it and has challenged Bill CLinton.
Jennifer Lopez, Jimmy Fallon (and the roots) Oprah, Ryan Seacrest, Chris Christie, Steven Spielberg, Ricky Gervais, Demi Levato, Martha Stewart, The Jets!, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Jimmy Kimmel, Lebron James, Lena Dunham,
OMG the list goes on and on. I really can't even begin to describe how great this is for ALS.
Anyone ever read the book Tuesdays with Morrie?

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 1:28 pm
I LOVE Tuesdays with Morrie. Best book ever. And really sad.

I think this challenge is unreal. Sadly the person who started it died when he drowned in a lake/river after taking the challenge to the next level. But look at what he has done! It is amazing!

I haven't been challenged, I know frum people who have been, I wonder what my dh would think if I did...lol.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 3:48 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Yes just came to edit my post, I read $5mil last weekend now it is close to $23million!!

George Bush did it and has challenged Bill CLinton.
Jennifer Lopez, Jimmy Fallon (and the roots) Oprah, Ryan Seacrest, Chris Christie, Steven Spielberg, Ricky Gervais, Demi Levato, Martha Stewart, The Jets!, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Jimmy Kimmel, Lebron James, Lena Dunham,
OMG the list goes on and on. I really can't even begin to describe how great this is for ALS.
Anyone ever read the book Tuesdays with Morrie?

Wave

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:20 pm
smilingmom wrote:
Anyone here challenged?
I was challenged by a fellow imamother.

Did you actually do it?

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:27 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Did you actually do it?

I posted a video above of my response to the challenge.

Rachel, in order to bring awareness to ALS (Lou gherig's disease) someone started a challenge.
You have to pour a bucket of ice water on your head or give $100 to ALS, you challenge other people to do the same. It a PR gimmick for ALS that has really worked.

rdmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:29 pm
Heard of it. Seen it all over facebook. But how did it actually start and how it this fundraising? Does somebody donate money for every bucket of ice that somebody dumps on themselves?

Sounds really interesting. But really cold.

cs1

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:33 pm
My husband was just nominated.
I personally think its nuts but it is great pr for als

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 10:37 pm
Chris Kennedy never knew that one bucket of ice cold water in a Sarasota backyard would turn into the viral phenomenon known as the Ice Bucket Challenge for the ALS Association.

Kennedy, 26, is a professional golfer who was challenged in mid-July by a friend to dump a bucket of ice water on his head and choose a charity to donate money to.

"As soon as I got challenged, I went straight to ALS because I have some family connections there. My wife's cousin has ALS. He's been battling the disease for 11 years now," Kennedy said.

Kennedy posted the video to YouTube on July 15. Within days, friends, family and even strangers took up the challenge in honor of Anthony Senerchia, his wife's cousin, who lives in Pelham, New York.

"When I first did it, it was just a fun thing that was kind of spreading through a few people that I knew," Kennedy said. "We were overwhelmed with just the first 100 videos from the people in New York, and then it was 200, and then it was 300 and we're just like, 'holy cow.'"

Through Kennedy's family connections in upstate New York, Pete Frates got involved. Frates is a former Boston College baseball captain who came down with ALS and became a spokesperson for the ALS Foundation.

Suddenly, Kennedy's challenge became an international fundraising effort.

"It just went crazy in our Facebook feeds, Twitter, Instagram, they were just clogged with all of these ALS Ice Bucket Challenges and my wife and I were just like, 'what in the world did we just start?'" he said.

Since July 19, the ALS Association has collected about $32 million as of Aug. 20; during the same period last year the organization raised $1.9 million.

In a news release, ALS Association Florida Chapter spokesperson, Alissa Gutierrez, said she hopes the Florida organization will continue to see an increase in donations as well; the Florida Chapter has received $50,000, compared to $21,000 during the same time period in 2013.

"The real story here I think is all the donations that have come in," Kennedy said, adding when a single bucket of water in Sarasota turns into millions of dollars, the possibilities seem endless. "Now they know what this disease is, what it does to people, and they're donating. So hopefully here soon we can get a cure for this thing."

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:36 pm
smilingmom wrote:
I posted a video above of my response to the challenge.

I saw the video, I was asking if you actually did the challenge as well, but it seems you didn't.

Chloe

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:40 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I LOVE Tuesdays with Morrie. Best book ever. And really sad.

I think this challenge is unreal. Sadly the person who started it died when he drowned in a lake/river after taking the challenge to the next level. But look at what he has done! It is amazing!

I haven't been challenged, I know frum people who have been, I wonder what my dh would think if I did...lol.

It was actually his friend who died, not the one who started it.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 9:32 am
http://matzav.com/video-george.....06849

smilingmom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:47 am
oliveoil wrote:
I saw the video, I was asking if you actually did the challenge as well, but it seems you didn't.

.....and mess up my sheitel???
You are right, I was a chicken.
But oliveoil, I challenge you to the ice bucket challenge.

mille

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 10:51 am
oliveoil wrote:

I don't think the actual ice water is the point! ALS awareness and fundraising is the point Smile

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:52 pm
mille wrote:
I don't think the actual ice water is the point! ALS awareness and fundraising is the point Smile

Right, but this video seems mocking to me.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:53 pm
smilingmom wrote:
.....and mess up my sheitel???
You are right, I was a chicken.
But oliveoil, I challenge you to the ice bucket challenge.

I've already done it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics