Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need advice for long layover in Paris or Brussels or Vienna

Would you choose to have an 8-10 hour layover in . . .
Paris  
 57%  [ 4 ]
Vienna  
 42%  [ 3 ]
Brussels  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 1:53 pm
I may be traveling Nov/Dec of this year with the choice of a long layover in Paris (9 hrs), Brussels (11 hrs) or Vienna (10 hrs) while en route to Israel. I have never been to Europe and would be traveling with my husband. He'd be in a baseball cap and I'd be in a sheitl, but we are concerned about anti-semitism in Europe. I know nobody can predict what it will be like in a few months, but if anyone has advice over which layover to choose or advice about what to do during the layover (place to leave carryons, how much time we'd really have to tour and what we could see/do in that city in that time, I'd definitely appreciate it. Finding Kosher food/restaurants during the layover would be a plus, but not necessary (we always travel w/food).

Thank you.

rachel91

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 2:02 pm
I would decide between Vienna and Paris, take Brussels out of the picture, since in my opinion it's the least interesting town, with least kosher opportunities.

Don't worry about anti- Semitism, there are jews living in all those 3 cities, we are fine.

To be honest, I think you should go with Paris, especially since you've never been to Europe before, there are lots of kosher restaurants, shops and lots to see.

Vienna also has lots of kosher and what to see, but I think Paris will be the better choice.
Again, this is my opinion.

(Living in Belgium, have visited Paris once and Vienna twice and Brussels uncountable times)

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 3:36 pm
I've been to all 3 cities, and I'd be a minority opinion and choose Vienna.
It was a close call between Paris v Vienna, both are gorgeous cities with rich cultural heritage. The main difference is the airports. CDG airport in Paris is quite large, not the most user friendly airport, whereas VIE is smaller and so much easier to get through with good public transport connection.

You have to look at the airport websites to look for facilities to check luggages. I know there is one at Gare du Nord in Paris.

As rachel said, I also won't worry too much about antisemitism in Europe. Or let's put this way, there are arab neighbourhoods in most major cities but most are not in common tourist destinations.

Just one more thing, if you say late Nov/early Dec, it gets dark rather early around that time of the year (say 4:30pm). Though you might see special illuminations, winter markets and ice skate rinks and that kind of stuff closer to x-mas.

agreer

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:03 pm
I voted Vienna precisely Because of the antisemitism in Paris. I hate the French. I'm sure you could argue the same for the nazi Austrians but right now, the thought of France makes me mad.

rachel91

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:08 pm
agreer wrote:
I voted Vienna precisely Because of the antisemitism in Paris. I hate the French. I'm sure you could argue the same for the nazi Austrians but right now, the thought of France makes me mad.

There are Nazi's, and Jew haters anywhere. I've been to Budapest lately, which is considered one of the most anti Semitic countries in Europe nowadays, and all was well. People got attacked in Switzerland on the other hand. We'll never figure it out. Anything could happen anywhere. And why do you hate the French? Have you ever been to France?

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:12 pm
I would do Paris just for the amazing food. If you stay in the right neighborhoods you are extremely unlikely to run into trouble in broad daylight.

maidale

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:39 am
Foodwise you're definitely better off in Paris, much bigger choice and good choices too. You can get around well with the metro but you need to be organized and know exactly where you want to go so as not to lose time planning. As for beauty it's either vienna or paris. I'd leave brussels out. not interesting! Unless you have relatives or friends in Antwerp and want to go in to spend the day with them/take a nap, etc.

rachel91

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:21 am
Op, if you will need help planning your stay in Paris, or wherever you choose to stay you may contact me, this is my work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics