Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How to match tichels with outfits

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:05 pm
I think if you wear patterned and colored outfits, it's hard to find a tichel that matches, especially when you have very few tichels.
How do you match your tichels with your outfits? Do you only wear black and then you can wear whatever tichel you like? Do you wear colors and patterns and then wear solid color tichels like black? Do you have a tichel to match each outfit? How many tichels do you have?
I need advice.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:08 pm
I buy tichels when they are well-priced and I like the tichel itself. I have a huge collection. you need to experiment a lot, but having a large collection of cheap tichels is helpful.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:14 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I buy tichels when they are well-priced and I like the tichel itself. I have a huge collection. you need to experiment a lot, but having a large collection of cheap tichels is helpful.

What do you call huge? 20? I also have the impression that you need many tichels but I haven't been married for so long so for now none of my tichels really match my outfits, unless I wear black.

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:34 pm
I try to pick a color in my outfit to match my tichels to. I find I favor certain colors, so I have those colored tichels - purple, blue, green. I probably have about 8 tichels that I wear regularly. None are plain black (my black one has a pretty pattern on it).

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 13 2014, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
What do you call huge? 20? I also have the impression that you need many tichels but I haven't been married for so long so for now none of my tichels really match my outfits, unless I wear black.

this really depends on how you tie your tichels. if you wear one at a time in a basic bun, neutral colors should really be all you need. I like to combine patterns/colors/jewelry, etc. I will wear up to four tichels at once. I have three drawers full.

papermageling

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 2:44 pm
I don't really have nearly as many tichels as I'd like, but I wear a lot of solid (although often bright) colors, which makes matching easier. I rarely match pattern with pattern, it's usually solid with solid or solid with pattern. As long as the color of the tichel compliments my clothing, I figure I'm good. I wear almost entirely neutral and cool (blue, purple, green) colors, so I don't run into that much trouble.

ruti13

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 6:57 pm
Go to wrapunzel.wordpress.com - lots of ideas on there! Also on wrapunzel.com you can see some of the outfits!

rzab

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:53 pm
So I fall into the category of owning waaaay to many tichels, but I like to buy patterned tichels. Most of my clothing is solid- not necessarily black, but it sticks to one color. I find a tichel that has tthat color somewhere in it and it accents really well.

morah

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 8:55 pm
I usually match the tichel to one color in the outfit. If the outfit is not patterned, then I will wear a patterned tichel in the general color scheme.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 9:20 pm
My mother taught me a rule that I have never forgotten. Whenever you want to buy something for your wardrobe, you have to name 5 things that you already own that you can wear it with, and you have to do it QUICK!

If you can't think of good matches, then you are going to be stuck with something that you will never know what to do with. It doesn't matter how pretty it is, it has to work with what you already own.

For tichels, think about what color looks best next to your face. It might not be the same color of a skirt that you would wear, or shoes, etc. Use your face and blouse as your guideline.

If you want to add a dash of color to a plain tichel, but don't want the extra bulk, try an elastic headband with a nice decoration on it, a brooch, or a skinny sash. Even a wide length of ribbon would work nicely. Go to your nearest fabric store and check out the ribbon department. You can get some very fancy brocade ribbons, and you only need a yard of each pattern. Ask them for advice on how to keep the ends from unraveling. I like to use a product called "Fray Check".

spinkles

Post Mon, Aug 25 2014, 10:44 pm
Sounds like you need more tichels. I like the "paisley jacquard" pashminas on this site: http://www.fashionanything.com/ They're $4.25 each, but you have to buy a minimum of I think $30 worth, plus I think it's $10 for shipping, so basically for 40 bucks you get 8 pashminas, so that comes out to $5 each. I got a bunch of different colors. They're lightweight and the tails are long enough to tuck in easily if you want.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 7:16 am
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24244&start=60 wrote:
Sounds like you need more tichels. I like the "paisley jacquard" pashminas on this site: http://www.fashionanything.com/ They're $4.25 each, but you have to buy a minimum of I think $30 worth, plus I think it's $10 for shipping, so basically for 40 bucks you get 8 pashminas, so that comes out to $5 each. I got a bunch of different colors. They're lightweight and the tails are long enough to tuck in easily if you want.

Awesome link, thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:49 am
I'm OP. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I think I need to find more cheap tichels. chana_f, this is a really great website!
About everything goes well with my colorless complexion, so I have many options. I usually wear square tichels, tied in a simple way. Somehow, I have trouble tying the rectangular ones, either they don't look right or they fall apart. I watched several tutorials on Youtube, but the result is still not there, maybe because my pashmina type of tichel, which used to be a scarf, is just too heavy. I need to get something lighter.

spinkles

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 9:59 am
Center the oblong tichel in the middle of your forehead. Tie in the back (not a complete knot, just the first half of a knot). Bring tails up over your forehead, arrange how you like, then tie in the back or at the side, or tuck ends in under the knot.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 10:08 am
Sprinkles wrote:
Center the oblong tichel in the middle of your forehead. Tie in the back (not a complete knot, just the first half of a knot). Bring tails up over your forehead, arrange how you like, then tie in the back or at the side, or tuck ends in under the knot.

This is what I do Sad Either the tichel doesn't stay flat on the forehead, or it doesn't cover all the hair, or it falls off (I wear a cap under, but it still manages to slide away). I need more practice, I guess.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 26 2014, 2:00 pm
Match it to clothes, to jewelry, to accessories, to make up...

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:26 am
amother wrote:
This is what I do Sad Either the tichel doesn't stay flat on the forehead, or it doesn't cover all the hair, or it falls off (I wear a cap under, but it still manages to slide away). I need more practice, I guess.

You MUST wear a velvet wig grip if you want your wrap to last all day. Otherwise you'll keep running to the bathroom to re-tie it every few hours.

I wish I could show you how to tie rectangles in person. If you see it done once, you'll get it immediately. It's my favorite look now, and I hardly ever wear my square ones anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics