Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Tipping question (Lakewood)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 11:24 am
I'm sending to a backyard daycamp run by 4 HS girls. Am I expected to tip them on top of what I paid them?

I also send to a different Morah who has 2 young (7th grade?) assistants. I'm assuming that I should give them each a $5 tip or so and it is not needed to tip the morah.

I really don't want to spend even more on tips right now on top of day camp but I don't want to "cheat" anyone out of what they deserve.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:39 pm
If the girls taking care of your DD's are the ones who directly get the $$ then you don't need to tip them.

For the Morah who has 2 7th grade counselors, they are likely being paid a small amount and the bulk goes to the Morah. So a tip is definitely a nice, appreciated gesture.

I've done Sprinkles gift cards to the counselors, things like that, when the amount was small.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 2:52 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I've done Sprinkles gift cards to the counselors, things like that, when the amount was small.

I like this idea. $5 cash seem like nothing but somehow $5 to an ice cream store feels like much more because you can get a whole cone or shake for that money.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:14 pm
Not sure about tipping because as you said, camps cost so much as it is. I did want to comment that while the Sprinkles gift card is a nice gesture, I tend to find the gift certificates inconvenient for me as a mother who has to shlep out to a specific place alone with that daughter.

Another cheap idea is to buy a little gift , maybe a nice note pad, cute sticky notes, or maybe even a chocolate bar, along with a thank you note.

lkwdmommy

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:32 pm
I would still give a gift certificate to a store. My young DDs appreicate that more than a "shmunchka". Simple1 has a point about the bother for the mom. Maybe find a store in the girls' neighborhood and give a certificate there (Gingerbread House down Rte 9 or Bagel Nosh in town or 4 Corners in other neighborhoods: you get the idea.)

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:34 pm
Thanks! Does all this apply only to assistants? Do HS girls who are making a camp on their own and earning all the proceeds get tips on top of it?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 28 2014, 3:37 pm
No-if they own the business, no need to tip. It's only the (usually underpaid) assistants that get tips.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics