Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What Parenting Course / Book would you recommend?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:07 am
Our kids have been quite difficult recently and DH and I could use some guidance. I've read some books and tried to implement some changes but DH is not very good at reading books and didn't manage to implement them.

I've been thinking about Dina Friedman's course but I understand that you can only purchase the CD's now without getting any personal advice from her. I don't think I like that! Also, do you think DH could benefit too? Has anyone done her course just from the CD's and had good results with difficult kids?

What have others had success with? We're desperate, please bring on the recommendations!

Stars

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:24 am
Dina Friedman, hands down!

smss

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 9:31 am
Stars wrote:
Dina Friedman, hands down!

sorry to hijack OP, but I'm thinking about trying her course & wanted to know more about it..can you describe her style? what did you gain from it?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 10:14 am
Another vote for Dina Friedman! Personally DH hasn't got the patience or time to listen to her but I always tell him what she spoke about and we are very much in it together. He thinks she is a very wise woman and is always reminding me to listen to the next lecture Smile We very much feel the difference in our home now that I'm doing her course

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:14 pm
Dr. Koslowitz. Targeted Parenting. She's located in Lakewood but she does her classes via Skype. Can't recommend her enough. My DS was very difficult and she really taught me skills I needed to deal with him. Her classes are more for parents who have kids who are more difficult than the typical, not just a regular chinuch/parenting class. 732-364-3111.

momofqts

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:23 pm
Perel abromowitz. Very positive firm approach. Keeps parents in charge in a calm yet disciplined manner. I don't know where you live but she gives classes in bp.

Last edited by momofqts on Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 12:36 pm
I like STEP - www.tiredofyelling.com

Its cheap ($20) for the mp3 download and very practical. She gives real world wording and examples so that you can follow through.

Stars

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:22 pm
smss wrote:
sorry to hijack OP, but I'm thinking about trying her course & wanted to know more about it..can you describe her style? what did you gain from it?

She turned my life around. You can listen to samples of her courses now on Akeres Habayis, 212-444-1900 I think it's 7-7

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 1:41 pm
Dina Friedman's course is excellent. It changed me in many (positive) ways and I wasn't a totally lost and clueless parent to start with. My only gripe is the poor audio quality.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:00 pm
OP here. Thanks ladies! I'm no novice either b'h and have been complimented on my parenting skills time and again, but now we're struggling with a very difficult kid, not just regular misbehaviour... Does Dina's course discuss how to deal with those too? Or is Dr. Koslowitz better for that?

Those that did Dina's course please chime in!
Did you do it via CD only? With no personal interaction with Dina? Would you still take it now that you know how it works?

How does Dr. Koslowitz work? Is it a series of sessions or more like guidance sessions as needed?
Can I do it together with DH?

I'm open to other ideas too and would like hear from all of you! LOL

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:13 pm
Rabbi Orlowek's books were extremely enlightening for me. I have a child who was (and some is to some extent) pretty challenging, and I think these books gave use the chochma to deal with him in a way that did not make the problem worse and BH he matured and got much better with time and lots of patience and love.

John Rosemond's books.
The Five Love Languages for Children / Teens (two separate books).

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 2:20 pm
I am another major Perl Abramowitz fan. She is trained by Miriam Adahan and really changed my family. She gives phone classes and and in person too. I think she has an office in Monsey and BP. She is also available to help with specific difficult issues, and is an expert with addictive behaviors as well. Her number is 718-640-1878.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 3:32 pm
Dina's course is very thorough and if you are committed to listening regularly you will find that she provides guidance for every possible scenario ranging from the totally standard and normal to how to deal with extremely challenging circumstances and complex children. I would say that this course needs commitment to see results if you are dealing with extreme circumstances. It isn't overnight magic. It is a process with long-term results.
I loved that it was on mp3. That way I could listen and re-listen when I felt a particular class held a lot of wisdom for me and move on when I felt ready to go forward. These parenting courses can be very overwhelming and hard work emotionally for the parent. I loved it that I could go at my own pace yet I was so motivated to continue because it felt that as soon as I implemented something or really internalised a mind set, the change was so noticeable, so dramatically. I've listened to the whole course again - there is so much to pick up on.
It is a downside that you can't speak to Dina direct yet I found that by sticking to the program, all my questions were answered. Perhaps what you would need is a guidance counsellor/therapist alongside a parenting course??

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks ladies! I'm no novice either b'h and have been complimented on my parenting skills time and again, but now we're struggling with a very difficult kid, not just regular misbehaviour... Does Dina's course discuss how to deal with those too? Or is Dr. Koslowitz better for that?

How does Dr. Koslowitz work? Is it a series of sessions or more like guidance sessions as needed?
Can I do it together with DH?

I'm open to other ideas too and would like hear from all of you! LOL

Dr. Koslowitz's course is ten weeks on a particular type of child. You call her up and she tells you which class you belong in, based on what you describe.
The class is live in lakewood, but via go-to-meeting if you're from out of lakewood. made it very convenient for me, because we were away for part of the summer, and I was able to log in.
I think some women who came to the class with me had husbands logging in from home.

I also took other parenting classes and think I'm a good mother, but the particular DS I went for is a challenge. His principal recommended it. Very happy. Still using the techniques. I see a huge difference in my son.
Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Dr. Koslowitz's course is ten weeks on a particular type of child. You call her up and she tells you which class you belong in, based on what you describe.
The class is live in lakewood, but via go-to-meeting if you're from out of lakewood. made it very convenient for me, because we were away for part of the summer, and I was able to log in.
I think some women who came to the class with me had husbands logging in from home.

I also took other parenting classes and think I'm a good mother, but the particular DS I went for is a challenge. His principal recommended it. Very happy. Still using the techniques. I see a huge difference in my son.
Hatzlacha.
This sounds interesting. Can you please post for which specific types of children the courses are?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
Dina's course is very thorough and if you are committed to listening regularly you will find that she provides guidance for every possible scenario ranging from the totally standard and normal to how to deal with extremely challenging circumstances and complex children. I would say that this course needs commitment to see results if you are dealing with extreme circumstances. It isn't overnight magic. It is a process with long-term results.
I loved that it was on mp3. That way I could listen and re-listen when I felt a particular class held a lot of wisdom for me and move on when I felt ready to go forward. These parenting courses can be very overwhelming and hard work emotionally for the parent. I loved it that I could go at my own pace yet I was so motivated to continue because it felt that as soon as I implemented something or really internalised a mind set, the change was so noticeable, so dramatically. I've listened to the whole course again - there is so much to pick up on.
It is a downside that you can't speak to Dina direct yet I found that by sticking to the program, all my questions were answered. Perhaps what you would need is a guidance counsellor/therapist alongside a parenting course??

OP here. How long did it take you to get through the course material?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
This sounds interesting. Can you please post for which specific types of children the courses are?

I'm looking at her brochure now. It says - The Highly Reactive Child, The Cautious Child, The Disorganized/Distractible Child, The Socially Awkward Child, The Traumatized Child and a class for parents of toddlers about temperament-based parenting.
We did The Highly Reactive Child (DS gets angry very easily) and it really did change my life.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 05 2014, 5:52 am
OP here. Bumping this up for more ideas.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:54 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I like STEP - www.tiredofyelling.com

Its cheap ($20) for the mp3 download and very practical. She gives real world wording and examples so that you can follow through.

OP here. This looks great! Have you found it worked for your family?

dr. pepper

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 12:34 pm
Huge fan of Rebt Spetner/ Ruthie Lynn

I also liked John Rosemonds "Well Behaved Child."

Bottom line is: you need to find a good fit that works with your personality/haskafah and then BE CONSISTENT! Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics