Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Produce - Don't want to over buy or under buy

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Sep 09 2014, 11:38 pm
I can't seem to get it right. Either I over buy fruits and vegetables and discard the spoiled ones. Or I under buy and then don't serve enough fruits and vegetables.

How do you do it? Shop for produce very frequently? Get it to last longer with good storing techniques? Buy a minimal amount and supplement with frozen / canned produce?

Thanks for your suggestions.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 10 2014, 1:05 am
I do combination of all of the above. Also, make sure to use whatever you have. Don't buy more when you have something else left - use it so it doesn't spoil. If you have too many vegetables and they're starting to turn, invent a soup - you can always freeze if it isn't needed immediately. Too many fruits - freeze in chunks to puree later in smoothies or to flavor yogurt.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:57 pm
I know this is an old post but was wondering if anyone one else has any good suggestions? how often do you shop for produce?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:59 pm
I usually shop once a week. study your fridge for a month. note how much produce you buy and how much you throw away at the end of the week. after a month or so, you should have a good feel for how much produce your family actually eats.

rgr

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:05 pm
Just something I learned, throwing it out there in case it's helpful to anyone.

Lettuces lasts for a very long time when you put it on a airtight Tupperware container as opposed to rolling it up in the plastic bag that it comes in, even if you close the bag tightly with a clip.

mora b

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:09 pm
I try to buy in the beginning of the week the fruit that is still hard but starting to soften so by middle of the week they're ready and. Oh so delish!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics