Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking on the blech

Rachaeli.K

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 7:24 pm
My oven has a safety feature that turns itself off after being on for 12 hours, which means for the 3 day yuntif, I only have it for the first night dinner. Does anyone know how to cook on a blech/hotplate? I would love to make chicken on it for the second night dinner, but I am concerned both about burning and/or undercooking the chicken. Also, what about cholent? Can I put the crockpot insert right on the blech? Will that work?

abs

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 7:28 pm
Check your oven's manual. You may be able to over-ride the shutoff feature.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 7:38 pm
Rachaeli.K wrote:
My oven has a safety feature that turns itself off after being on for 12 hours, which means for the 3 day yuntif, I only have it for the first night dinner. Does anyone know how to cook on a blech/hotplate? I would love to make chicken on it for the second night dinner, but I am concerned both about burning and/or undercooking the chicken. Also, what about cholent? Can I put the crockpot insert right on the blech? Will that work?

The chicken will not cook on an electric plata.
Can you keep a gas range flame on for cooking?
Or use a crockpot instead?
The crockpot insert on the electric plata is not a good idea because 1. if your plata's temp is too low your cholent will not cook and 2. if your plata's temp is high enough to truly cook it will crack the crock insert.

Rainbows613

Post Mon, Sep 15 2014, 10:41 pm
Crock pot is the best on yom tov-reheats meats to hot without any risk of burning.. I would either leave on a gas if you plan to cook or put it in the crock pot in a roasting bag the night before allowing it to cook.. although I wonder if that might be called preparing...

oliveoil

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 5:22 am
First of all, call the company and find out how to override the 12 hour feature, if you want to leave the oven on. It's usually do-able.

Otherwise, just use the stovetop for cooking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen