Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Elyakim

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 11:48 am
Any info on this name plz?

spring13

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:11 pm
It's from Tanach - a minister of King Chizkiyahu, mentioned in Melachim and Yeshaya, plus it was the original name of King Yehoyakim. Means "Hashem will establish" or "Hashem will raise." It was translated to "Getzel" in Yiddish I think, so Eliakim Getzel is a common double name (like Dov Ber or Menachem Mendel).

I think it's great. I like the sound, and it's uncommon without being too far-out.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 1:53 pm
I know nothing about the name but my son has a boy in his class named that. It was the first time that I heard it.

simcha6

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:11 pm
I'm not sure if this will matter one way or the other, but there is a Yemenite moshav in Israel named Elyakim, and I think also an army base close by goes by the same name. It's close to Yokneam. Just FYI.

It does sound like a nice strong name for a boy. Very Happy

ElTam

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:39 pm
I had never heard this name before, but my son (in pre-K) has an Elyakim in his class.

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:59 pm
Sounds like a nice name to me.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:02 pm
I know a boy Elyakim Dovid. Parents had in mind that Hashem should establish moshiach ben Dovid very soon.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:13 pm
simcha6 wrote:
there is a Yemenite moshav in Israel named Elyakim, Very Happy

Aha! That's why I was thinking it sounded "Sepharadi" (which today would be called "Mizrachi", but as a daughter of a staunch member of American Mizrachi Women, now known as Amit Women, I hear "Mizrachi" and think the religious Zionist movement formerly known as Mizrachi-Hapoel Hamizrachi.)

I believe that not far from Elyakim there's another community called Elyachin, yes?

So long as you don't have twins boys and name them Elyakim and Elyachin (or Elyakim and Ali Hakim), you're ok.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 10:33 pm
My sons middle name!!
It was my husband's grandfathers name
Amother for those details

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 6:59 am
Its dh name! It took me a while to get used to, but is completely normal to me now. Only issue we ever had was a great uncle calling him "elokim". But I guess that can be kind of flattering though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names