Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you live in Antarctica and have a cleaner?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:18 am
penguin wrote:
Quote:
I don't allow penguins in the house.
I am trying to be dan lekaf zechus and not feel insulted. I would totally take off my ice skates if you wanted, not to scratch the floor in your igloo, but, hey, it's your igloo, your rules.

Doesn't everyone just zamboni a couple of times a week? Sheesh.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:19 am
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Can I use the ice-fishing hole for a mikvah?
Only if you have a nice ML. But, BRRR, Don't you guys have a heated mikvah of some kind? I hope so...

We tried, but the walls melted.

Dawling

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:43 pm
Back to the original post, if you don't have a cleaner, I can check if the cleaning company I use can ship one over to you.
You have a choice- Russian, Israeli, American, Hispanic, male/female, can talk/can't talk, etc.
They're very considerate to people of all walks of life.
They can even send him/her in a discreet package so nobody knows it's a cleaner you ordered (shhh!) & then labels you as "lazy and spoilt".
(psst, that's why it's worthwhile to get the non-speaking cleaners, they can't reveal which lazy spoiled brats they've been to...)
Included in the package is a nice welcome letter outlining all the benefits of outsourcing domestic help so you don't feel guilty or useless, as well as a list of all the tzadikim from previous generations who used cleaning help but still got into Gan Eden.
(Where's the OP from the original original post, does she know what we started?)
Wink

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 5:11 pm
I learned in seminary that when Mashiach comes, the Frozen Non-Chosens will BEG us to let them do our laundry so we can go learn Torah! So maybe if we hire cleaners NOW, we're showing Hashem that we are truly ready to greet Mashiach right now!! You know, we have to do our hishtadlus!!

Growing

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:01 pm
I nominate this thread as the absolutely most hilarious one ever!

Thanks all of you for a well needed laugh!

Now I better tiskadoo to my kitchen!

penguin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:08 pm
This reminds me of a vort from Rav Shimon Schwab, tzt"ll. He asks what was the point of the Jews having to find straw to make bricks? If they just wanted to make the work harder, they could have just demanded a larger quota of bricks.

His brilliant answer is that this was that this was arranged by Hashem as the last opportunity for the Mitzriyim to show their true motivation, so that later they couldn't say "I was just following orders". Did they give straw to a Jew or did they slam the door? Thus in Az Yashir the various fates are depicted, some were tossed about like straw, some sank like lead, each according to what he deserved.

(And as I was typing this I was about to quote pesukim when I realized I was stuck... so that's a wakeup call about davening... I guess)

Anyhow, if your cleaner will assist you in gathering blocks of ice for your igloo extension, I believe he/she will merit a good position when Moshiach comes.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:35 pm
Barbara wrote:
Doesn't everyone just zamboni a couple of times a week? Sheesh.

Is that the Italian version of zumba? Kinda hard to do those moves wearing sealskins.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:39 pm
No, no, now I remember, zamboni is a kind of dairy dessert, also a flavor of ice cream with little jellylike thingies stuck in it.
But really, Barbara, a few times a week? Isn't that a bit much? Or maybe not, seeing how many calories you burn just trying to stay warm.

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:48 pm
NY biggest question right now is what to do about sukkos. The icicles are definitely more than two tefachim long. DH wants to sleep in the sukkah but I'm concerned about his heart rate dropping from the temp. And every year the fragile hadasim crack from the cold!

Jewishmofm

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:37 pm
We're extreme Northern Alaskans. DD won't wear her uniform parka to school . . . she only has 17 layers on. I'm scared she'll 'catch her death of cold' or get kicked out of school - and it's the only one for 100s of miles! I don't want to make this into a fight, but, as a mother I worry . . . WWYD?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:45 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
NY biggest question right now is what to do about sukkos. The icicles are definitely more than two tefachim long. DH wants to sleep in the sukkah but I'm concerned about his heart rate dropping from the temp. And every year the fragile hadasim crack from the cold!

My sukka, like my house, is heated. We also have heated blankets, and a special temperature controlled room. Come on over to the PARTY

Jewishmofm wrote:
We're extreme Northern Alaskans. DD won't wear her uniform parka to school . . . she only has 17 layers on. I'm scared she'll 'catch her death of cold' or get kicked out of school - and it's the only one for 100s of miles! I don't want to make this into a fight, but, as a mother I worry . . . WWYD?

Tell her about our children in Antarctica that are even colder than you. Just like she needs to eat for the kids in Africa you cannot afford food, she should try and warm up for us in Antarctica who are dealing with even cooler temperatures. If you have an Inuit. Marcus, they sell special heated fur coats. Honey come in pleather, suede, wool, quilted, and even fur for shabbos! BTW, cold doesn't make you sick: germs do! P.S. do you know Sarah Palin personally? Is she your neighbor?

Jewishmofm

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 1:29 pm
DD wants to know why I don't just send her parka to the freezing children in antarctica (what, they work with the scientists there?)
As for sara palin, she's our closest neighbor. About 175 miles away. And inaccessible for about 4 months of they year, except by helicopter. So yeah, we get together often.

ETA: yes, I know germs are the real deal, but exposure lowers your defenses so germs can gain a foothold.

IMHopinion

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 4:15 pm
Just when I thought that all amothers are Brooklynites....

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:39 pm
Even The Tanya has made it to antartica.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 8:40 pm

grace413

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 11:21 pm
Chabad really is everywhere!

chickpea_salad

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 11:25 am
zaq wrote:
Is that the Italian version of zumba? Kinda hard to do those moves wearing sealskins.

Rolling Laughter

Zambonis only go so far...I have a real problem with drift in my house, I try to keep on top of it, but the wind just blows and blows and everytime I turn around there is MORE snow! What's a girl to do?

penguin

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 11:27 am
Quote:
I have a real problem with drift in my house, I try to keep on top of it, but the wind just blows and blows and everytime I turn around there is MORE snow! What's a girl to do?
Close the doors and windows?

penguin

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 11:29 am
Quote:
Zambonis only go so far...

Get a small one for the corners!

chickpea_salad

Post Tue, Sep 23 2014, 11:31 am
Do you live in Antarctica and have a tiny Zamboni I can borrow? Pleeeese?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry