Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Help with my bat mitzva student

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:00 am
I have been teaching a family privately for 12 years now. The kids go to a non Jewish school and I teach them yehadut. The youngest daughter who I met for the first time when she was barely 3 months old will become BatMitzva tomorrow. The family has planned her big bash and her initiation in Shul for November since it is more convenient after Yom Tov and the fall break but I realized that her actualy Jewish birthday is tomorrow. I told her parents and I think they will make some small celebration, not sure.
My question is: have any of you got ideas how I can make her lesson tomorrow special? I already bought her Bat Mitzva gift and will give it to her tomorrow instead of in November, but I dont want the lesson itself to be the usual one (usualy we practice her speech etc for the bat Mitzva celebration etc)
I live OOT in Europe so no suggestions about going to some kosher restaurats etc.
Please help me make it special by giving me some idaes!
thanks in advance.
anon because those who know me will recognize me.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:08 am
What if you wrote a letter in Hebrew about all the qualities that make her special, and about what it means to be a Jewish adult, and helped her read and translate it?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:16 am
imasinger wrote:
What if you wrote a letter in Hebrew about all the qualities that make her special, and about what it means to be a Jewish adult, and helped her read and translate it?

OP here
I like that! thank you!
keep em coming Smile

anon189

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:36 am
Do you want ideas for lesson-type of things that would be special, or is it ok to do a more "fun" activity instead of formal learning? If an activity is ok, can you bake challah with her? Or do some sort of chesed craft (I'm thinking along the lines of making something for a child in the hospital or someone in a nursing home...)?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 7:39 am
anon189 wrote:
Do you want ideas for lesson-type of things that would be special, or is it ok to do a more "fun" activity instead of formal learning? If an activity is ok, can you bake challah with her? Or do some sort of chesed craft (I'm thinking along the lines of making something for a child in the hospital or someone in a nursing home...)?

I was looking for both variations, since I will need to learn with her as well but wanted to incorporate something special.
I like your line of thought - starting this new stage in life by actively doing a mitzva! Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics