Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
RE: Mikvah erev Yom Kippur (CHASSIDISH AMOTHERS ONLY PLEASE)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:08 pm
Question:
I went to mikvah last night- do I need to go agian on erev?

can the week of yom kippur count as erev tevila too?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:11 pm
You need to ask dayan.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:18 pm
I ate very good meals on Rosh Hashana
Do I need to eat on erev Yom Kippur

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:20 pm
Since there are no rules about this, I guess you can do whatever you want. You don't need to ask anyone. Just do what you feel is right.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:34 pm
I would go if I were you.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:40 pm
Mikva Erev YK is not halacha. Ask your Rav. I haven't gone every year for various reasons.

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 3:24 pm
One year my mikva night was the night before yom kippur (tes tishrei).

I asked the ML what time the mikva opened and I made sure I was there on time the next morning! She didn't tell me, "Oh, mamahle, you're here now. You don't have to come tomorrow." I think it was obvious to both of us that tevila for mikva is one thing and tevilah for erev Y"K is another.

So...my answer to you would be no, any tevila before erev Y"K does not count for tevila on erev Y"K.

However, if you are having difficulty going, remember, it's not halacha, just a very strong minhag (but also remember, "minhag yisrael din").

BTW, I'm not Chassidish. I'm confused why you put that in the title. It's not just chassidish women that go to the mikva on erev Y"K.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 3:45 pm
agreer wrote:
One year my mikva night was the night before yom kippur (tes tishrei).

I asked the ML what time the mikva opened and I made sure I was there on time the next morning! She didn't tell me, "Oh, mamahle, you're here now. You don't have to come tomorrow." I think it was obvious to both of us that tevila for mikva is one thing and tevilah for erev Y"K is another.

So...my answer to you would be no, any tevila before erev Y"K does not count for tevila on erev Y"K.

This proves nothing. You asked a question, she answered. She may have not thought it her place to give you suggestions so she may have just held her mouth and given you the time.

On the contrary, since a lot of women do their erev YK toivel the night before, I'd think it would definitely be okay.

agreer

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 6:44 pm
Hmmm....now that you mention it, you're right. I do remember my old granma (a"H may she be a melitz yosher) went to the mikva the evening before yom kippur.

But I still think OP should go again before. Personally, I do see a difference between a week before and the night before.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 6:55 pm
I once went to a Satmar mikvah on erev YK and it was a very unpleasant (and even disgusting) experience.

OP, if this is also your situation, and you don't want to go, you don't have to. If you feel purified already, let it go.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 7:07 pm
if you wnet between rosh hashune & yom kippur, it can count for yom kipur to - you don't have to go ever.
BTW, a lot of people go the night before

rdmom

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:12 pm
I had my Mikva night on the night before Yom Kippur. I figured that I killed two birds with one stone. But I remember my husband asking a shayla and was told that it is two different things. So I went again the next morning.

kiwi strawberry

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 8:40 pm
I've never heard of this minhag. Can someone enlighten?

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 9:14 pm
I'm not chassidish, nor is this my minhag, but knowing what I know about mikvah and relations, people often use the term "tahor" to describe a woman's status after she comes home from the mikvah, but just like men go to the mikvah after relations b/c the emissions are tamei--the woman is too. Thus during those "on" weeks she's "mutar" to her husband, not "tahor". Thus, if you've been intimate with your husband after mikvah then you are no longer "tahor". I believe the minhag of going to the mikvah erev yom kippur--would be the same for women as men--to purify before the holiest day of the year. However, if I understand this correctly, and I'm not sure that I do, after relations a woman is considered "tamei" if any of the emissions come out of the body--which can occur for several days (hence the reason we wait 5 days before a hefsek tahara can be performed during period). Thus, if you just had mikvah, and presumably were with your husband, can you still go to the mikvah before y"k--or is it all symbolic anyway? I don't know how the minhag works.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:06 pm
You go after you do the deed. That is why you have to go again after the mikvah. That is what I heard!!!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:32 pm
can you go if you're a nidda?

SS6099

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
can you go if you're a nidda?

That is the only time I don't go on erev YK. We do not go if a niddah....

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 1:28 am
So if this is about being pure before G-d, rather than being mutar for your husband, can/do single women do this too? I'm just curious. And do you go during the daytime? Do you have to do the whole regular chafifah?

kol_yom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 4:18 am
Reply to various posters:
Yes, you can go when you are a nidda, just not in the days when you have the period (ie blood flow)
Yes girls could theoreticaly go as well, some rebbishe families have their girls go from bas mitzva age!
Some go on night before already
And as the others say to go when its ur mikva night is smthg else and to go lichvod yom kippur is something else.
May we all come purified before Hashem, each in our own way with our own minhag

ETA to the poster before me: one doesnt do chafifa kehalocha mamash but tries to prepare as good as possible but there are no specific halachos to hold to in prepping. Also one doesnt have the ML inside (not needed) as well as no brocha is said

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
Question:
I went to mikvah last night- do I need to go agian on erev?

can the week of yom kippur count as erev tevila too?

I had the same question 2 years ago and was told that I didn't have to go again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur