Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey Cheder - Vien, Munkatch or Imrei Shefer
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:34 am
I'm not angry. I'm stating facts that are pertinent to this discussion. If it bothers you, perhaps you should find ways to deal with it.

Deep

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:19 am
There are some serious misconceptions here. Maya, you were 1 teacher out of how many? The cost of running one class includes way more than teacher salaries! The average cost in a chassidish mosad is 75000 a year (my husband is on our board). When you calculate the average class of 25 x 2000 = 50000. That is without considering the 50% who don't pay up..... The math is easy. Every mosad subsists on the generosity of its 1%.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:52 am
Deep wrote:
There are some serious misconceptions here. Maya, you were 1 teacher out of how many? The cost of running one class includes way more than teacher salaries! The average cost in a chassidish mosad is 75000 a year (my husband is on our board). When you calculate the average class of 25 x 2000 = 50000. That is without considering the 50% who don't pay up..... The math is easy. Every mosad subsists on the generosity of its 1%.

How does a public school pay its teachers? A Chassidishe mosod with a chassidus works kind of similarly: some donations, some government funding, etc. A mosod that belongs to a chassidus gets most of its money from supporters within the chassidus, not from the tuition. I actually know more than one family who pays $125.00 per child per month or even less, yet I know another person who gives the school $30,000 per child per year as a donation to the mosod in addition to much larger donations he makes on other occasions (because there is an inyan that the wealthy should cover the tuition of the poor brought down in gemara). I don't want to discuss if that applies to girls or today. I just wanted to explain the varying degree of what people pay in tuition. Many of these mosdos also get large gov't grants and money which unfortunately in some cases are not allocated legally. Some schools don't pay their staff on time, and others give tuition breaks as payment to tachers and melamdim. My neighbor teaches in a school where her siblings attend, so her father doesn't pay tuition for her sisters, but she doesn't get paid from the school (her father pays the money directly to her). They are for minimal money for books, but considering that these books are outdated and old, I guess there is some income (although it costs money to upkeep old books). Students aren't getting state-of-the-art equipment, top teachers, a variety of extra curricular activities, etc., but the parents do not need that either.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 7:59 pm
I'm the one who posted, several pages back, that I have sons in the school and I'm happy...but the English department is limited to English and math. I just thought it would be only fair to add that my son told me yesterday they started learning some Geography and science now. So I guess some changes have been made.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the one who posted, several pages back, that I have sons in the school and I'm happy...but the English department is limited to English and math. I just thought it would be only fair to add that my son told me yesterday they started learning some Geography and science now. So I guess some changes have been made.

Which school?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:

Imrei Shefer? We just came from an interview with the school administrator. One of his ideas for bettering the English department is moving some subjects, like math, into the limudei kodesh department, thus freeing up time during limudei chol to study various other subjects.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 9:57 pm
Yes Imrei Shefer (re the English). Sorry I wasn't clear.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 10:16 pm
Yes Imrei Shefer (re the English). Sorry I wasn't clear.

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously there are more things you are unaware off :
The cost of EACH textbook is probably about $40. The government pays in total about $50 per student.
This site is public information, we don't know who is reading this, it might be Mesira. As the Mishna says : Wise - people, be careful with your words.

They get the books free and they are often used and not the current addition so they are unavailable new. They are free to every resident of East Ramapo .

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:14 pm
DrMom wrote:
Is that legal??

Dr Mom, why would fraud be legal? The schools can legally use donated money for a different purpose than it was intended for. They can't divert government funds.

Perhaps they can change the name of the fee to something like an administrative fee.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:43 pm
maya- I wont get into an argument with you. I think you know what loshon hora is. is there a toeles to the stuff you mentioned about the guy? common I dont need to say more. its sad that your rationalizing. okay, whatever I wont say more. I am out. I guess I shouldnt tell the truth to someone who wont hear it.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 02 2014, 11:52 pm
amother wrote:
Imrei Shefer? We just came from an interview with the school administrator. One of his ideas for bettering the English department is moving some subjects, like math, into the limudei kodesh department, thus freeing up time during limudei chol to study various other subjects.

Are they planning to teach it in English (hopefully), regardless of which department it's under? I wouldn't want my son learning math in any other language.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 12:42 am
amother wrote:
Are they planning to teach it in English (hopefully), regardless of which department it's under? I wouldn't want my son learning math in any other language.

Please explain why not in there first language, to me it makes more sense to teach math in the primary language

DrMom

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 1:31 am
Um, why isn't math in the *math* department?

amother

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
Please explain why not in there first language, to me it makes more sense to teach math in the primary language

Because after grammar/English, I think math is most important in (working) life. And it needs to be in their brains in the language of the country.

Maya

Post Fri, Oct 03 2014, 8:33 am
sourstix wrote:
maya- I wont get into an argument with you. I think you know what loshon hora is. is there a toeles to the stuff you mentioned about the guy? common I dont need to say more. its sad that your rationalizing. okay, whatever I wont say more. I am out. I guess I shouldnt tell the truth to someone who wont hear it.

I have no idea what you're saying, but okay.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:01 am
After all the talk of Vien being an established Cheder, here are some facts; since the new vaad takeover, the Menahel Rabbi Rottenberg and the administrator Mr. Chaim Itzkowitz, left the place. Both of them were highly esteemed people. The credit of building up Vien Cheder goes to both of them. All I could say is that it's a shame. I wonder if this place will unravel in the next few years.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:10 am
How long ago was it that they left? What is the situation now with the Cheder? I'm iy"h moving to Monsey and I'm trying to find out current information about Vien, Imrei Shufer and Bais Dovid....

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:30 am
The Menahel Rabbi Rottenberg left beginning this school year, Mr. Itzkowitz left by the end of February.

Maya

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
How long ago was it that they left? What is the situation now with the Cheder? I'm iy"h moving to Monsey and I'm trying to find out current information about Vien, Imrei Shufer and Bais Dovid....

One of these is not like the other two.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics