Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name for Tzivia?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 1:29 am
I'm due right around the birthday of DH's great-grandmother A"H. Her name was Tzivia (no middle name). I'm perfectly happy to name a girl Tzivia, but I think it's a hard name to pronounce if you don't grow up learning the Hebrew alphabet.

We didn't give our first child an English name because the Hebrew name was easily pronounceable. This time I think we should at least consider an English name. The relative was known as Celia, but I can't envision using that as the English name.

Any ideas?

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:01 am
Why not spell the name Civia? C is pronounced Tz in some Eastern European languages, and even with just the "S" sound it's pretty close to the original. Come to think of it, I think there was a Civia in my HS.

CatLady

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:05 am
I can't hear "Celia" without thinking of the Simon and Garfunkel song, which I love, but since you don't care for the name, I'd consider something like Vivianne or Ivy.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:09 am
Sylvia?

morah

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:26 am
Many Tzvis are Harry in English, so maybe Harriet? I'm not personally a fan of it, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Barbara

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:22 am
DrMom wrote:
Sylvia?

Or Stephanie.

Miri1

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:24 am
I know someone who was named after a Tsivya / Sophia.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:41 am
Any T names?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:50 am
morah wrote:
Many Tzvis are Harry in English, so maybe Harriet? I'm not personally a fan of it, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Right, my great grandfather was named Harry (Tzvi Hersh) so my grandmother named my aunt Tzivya after her father and her English name is Keri (was very popular as a female's name to match with Harry). Again, she wasn't too happy when she found out what Keri means in Hebrew though...

What's wrong with Celia? It's a normal English name.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
Any T names?

No English T name will sound like Tzivia (Sophia appears to be the closest in sound), but there are many names in English that begin with a T.

Tiffany, Tabatha, Tanya, Taylor, Tara, Tessa, etc. Even Tahlia is considered acceptable in American society today (Yes, non Jews give that name. My Armenian neighbor named her two girls Maya and Tahlia and she didn't even know that they were also Hebrew - she wanted mod sounding names). Go buy a baby book or look online at all T names if you are looking for a T.

I personal do not think that Tzivia matches with a T. I think it goes well with a Z or a C, but others have suggested S. X could also work depending on how trendy you want to be. Again, the English name doesn't have to match either, so search around for names you like. If you want a particular letter, than search around for that too. There are so many names and since it won't be a direct match, you can choose what you like. If you don't want to give an English name that is fine too.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 10:55 am
My dd's name is Tzivia. It took a few days to find a nice English name starting with a T, but we finally settled on Tori. I think it's kind of cute.

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:07 am
What about an English name with the same meaning of Tzivia or an English name of one of her middot (like Joy if she was a joyful person).

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:10 am
OP here.

I guess I'm kind of a traditionalist. Both DH and I have English names that are direct anglicised versions of our Hebrew names. I don't want to give a daughter a trendy name that will sound way out of place in a Jewish setting. I also don't want to give an old fashioned name that she'll hate. Celia just sounds old fashioned to me. (And I'm pretty sure the Simon and Garfunkel song was Cecilia, but I have that association as well.)

I sort of like Zaq's idea of spelling the name Civia, but I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it for a while and see what DH thinks.

Keep 'em coming folks! Any Tzivias out there who want to chime in?

SorGold

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 11:57 am
Maybe call her tzvi and do Silvi ( a modern form of Silvia)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:31 pm
I know a Tzivi whose English name is Sheryl.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 12:33 pm
Celine?

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:15 pm
DrMom wrote:
Sylvia?

I have a friend named Tzivia, and she has in recent months told the barista's at Starbucks that her name is Slyvia, bc it's easier than having to spell her name each time, so now Slyvia is her Starbucks name, I thought that was kinda cute the first time I heard it, and while I've thought about doing the same thing, (taking a starbucks name as a variation of my name, I know I'd never answer to another name)

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:18 pm
What about Cynthia?

Though all the Tzivias I know (three offhand) don't have any English names, so I'm not sure. I sorta like the idea of Sylvia as someone suggested, but I think it's sort of old-fashioned.

monseychick

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:21 pm
Husband's grandmother was Celia

Dina_B613

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 2:33 pm
I love Civia as a spelling!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names