Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ergo baby carrier

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:28 am
I'm looking for a carrier for my newborn which will last until he's older. He likes to be carried but I need to have hands free to deal with my toddler.

A few people recommended Ergo carriers but when I looked at their website there are several different options. How do I know which one to go for?

Has anyone used these carriers? Which style did you go for?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:59 am
I bought an Ergo baby carrier and HATED it. I used it maybe once or twice. I'm pretty sure the problem is they are not designed for short people -- I just could not get it into a comfortable position. I was planning on buying the Bjorn which I had used before (borrowed from a friend), but heard such good things about the Ergo that I switched. I really regretted it so much. (If you live in Israel I'll be happy to sell you mine Wink -- it is literally in almost new condition, I have all the instruction manuals and the newborn H2H insert.)

saw50st8

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 7:19 am
I love my ergo. I'm literally obsessed as are my kids. I got it when I was 8 months pregnant with my second and wore my first on my back. It was comfortable then and still is!

I'm 5'3" and it's comfortable for me.

When I bought mine, there was only one type (the original), so I can't help you too much with the options. A lot of people are buying the new 360, which allows you to face your baby out (the original only has your baby facing you).

If you are near any stores that sell, I recommend going to try them out. Beco is also supposed to be a great brand.

musicmom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 8:44 am
I got the Beco, which is similar to Ergo. I am happy with it, and it has lasted like new through 4 children. It has a pocket that the kid goes in, unlike Ergo, so for me, it is easier to switch to the back- wearing position. Good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:30 am
m in Israel wrote:
I bought an Ergo baby carrier and HATED it. I used it maybe once or twice. I'm pretty sure the problem is they are not designed for short people -- I just could not get it into a comfortable position. I was planning on buying the Bjorn which I had used before (borrowed from a friend), but heard such good things about the Ergo that I switched. I really regretted it so much. (If you live in Israel I'll be happy to sell you mine Wink -- it is literally in almost new condition, I have all the instruction manuals and the newborn H2H insert.)

I'm not in Israel sadly but thanks for the offer!

I'm 5'9 so hopefully height won't be a problem. I'd like to try before I buy but nowhere here sells them so I'm going to have to order online.

I got a Mei Tai for my first baby and it didn't work for us at all. She hated it and seemed to outgrow it at only a few months old. I never actually went out with her in it.

The Ergo looks pricey but it will be worth it if I can carry my baby around hands free.

sara_s

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:38 am
m in Israel wrote:

I may be interested in buying it from you. How much are you selling it for? And are you located in Jerusalem?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:42 am
my baby ONLY likes to face out so the ergo would have been a waste for me (although another poster did mention that one of their styles now allows that, didn't know that). I have a beco gemini which I LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:49 am
I loved my Ergo. The trick is using it right. The strap settings being the tiniest bit off makes a huge difference. I actually walked to someone wearing one and asked for her help and she fixed mine. After that I could walk around with him for hours and not feel it.

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
I'm not in Israel sadly but thanks for the offer!

I'm 5'9 so hopefully height won't be a problem. I'd like to try before I buy but nowhere here sells them so I'm going to have to order online.

I got a Mei Tai for my first baby and it didn't work for us at all. She hated it and seemed to outgrow it at only a few months old. I never actually went out with her in it.

The Ergo looks pricey but it will be worth it if I can carry my baby around hands free.

Check and see if there's a babywearing group near you. http://www.babywearinginternat.....ters/ If you can make a meeting, they'll have a bunch of different carriers that you can try on.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 12:12 pm
sara_s wrote:
I may be interested in buying it from you. How much are you selling it for? And are you located in Jerusalem?

Someone already contacted me about it after my first post! If it doesn't work out with her, I will PM you. I am in RBS but could probably get it to Jerusalem if we get tot that point.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 4:18 pm
little_mage wrote:
Check and see if there's a babywearing group near you. http://www.babywearinginternat.....ters/ If you can make a meeting, they'll have a bunch of different carriers that you can try on.

I'm not in the United States.

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not in the United States.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the link only listed US groups. You'd think that a organization with international in their name would have groups in other parts of the world. I'm pretty sure they do exist, but I don't know how to find them, sorry.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 6:07 pm
Check this out, it lists and compares features of most of the popular baby carriers on the market: http://www.theportablebaby.com......html

Based on that (as of a few years ago, they've changed some info since then) I got a Pikkolo and love it.

MommytoB

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 8:10 pm
I tried ergo and boba 3G. Loved my boba and used it until 2+ with heavy toddler! No problem on bad back either.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:07 pm
Ergo is popular but there are a lot of others out there with different features that many like better. I have a Beco that I liked a lot but was looking to try something new in case I could do even better... bought a Boba 3G but around the same time DD decided she was FINISHED being worn so I never even got to try it on. It fits from newborn through toddler without any insert needed and has some extra perks like stirrups for a larger child to rest their feet and a snap to keep your pocketbook from sliding down your shoulder. Now that the 4G is out there isn't as much resale value so I would be delighted to unload my brand new, unused, solid black Boba 3G on any amother in the USA at a very good price (especially if you live close enough that we could hand off instead of shipping) PM me!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 4:57 am
How useful do people find the forward facing feature?

It is the case that the baby can only face outward for a short period of time? I mean that newborns can't face outwards and at some point the baby is too big to face outwards. Between what ages is the forward facing feature suitable?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics