Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Open Mouth... Insert Foot. S/O of Outrageous things ppl said
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:20 pm
dimyona wrote:
My husband works with teenagers, and just this shabbos we had a whole bunch of high school boys over at our house. As I was introducing myself and learning their names, I noticed a little pip squeak who seemed to be around fourth grade age. As I got to him, I asked "who's lucky little brother are you?". He responds, "Actually, I'm a freshman." I immediately apologized but felt like sinking through the floor. I still feel terrible about it.

My father has always looked very young for his age. He is a BT and on his first ever date, when he was 14, he and the girl went to the movies. She was several inches taller than him. She went to buy the tickets and said one regular for her, and a child ticket for her little brother. My dad said he was so embarrassed, this girl did NOT get a second date, lol.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
I have ADHD. Every day is another foot-in-the-mouth horror story. If I would start listing them I would want to die. embarrassed

aww bless you

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:31 pm
dimyona wrote:
My husband works with teenagers, and just this shabbos we had a whole bunch of high school boys over at our house. As I was introducing myself and learning their names, I noticed a little pip squeak who seemed to be around fourth grade age. As I got to him, I asked "who's lucky little brother are you?". He responds, "Actually, I'm a freshman." I immediately apologized but felt like sinking through the floor. I still feel terrible about it.

I could write a book about the comments my DD has gotten due to age vs. size cognitive dissonance.

*the bus driver who was bypassing her stop, convinced that she couldn't possibly be in grade school.
*bystander at a Museum who marveled at the cleverness of that little girl (she was 12) who managed to build a mini canal system allowing the water to flow thru and move all the plastic boats thru the canal maze. The lady probably thought she was like, 7.
*Teachers who tried to redirect her to the hallway where the lower grades were located
*People who asked if she and her sister were twins. They're 3 years apart.

On the flip side, she has gotten away with alot....

It's probably much more sensitive for a boy.

dimyona

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:32 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I could write a book about the comments my DD has gotten due to age vs. size cognitive dissonance.

*the bus driver who was bypassing her stop, convinced that she couldn't possibly be in grade school.
*bystander at a Museum who marveled at the cleverness of that little girl (she was 12) who managed to build a mini canal system allowing the water to flow thru and move all the plastic boats thru the canal maze. The lady probably thought she was like, 7.
*Teachers who tried to redirect her to the hallway where the lower grades were located
*People who asked if she and her sister were twins. They're 3 years apart.

On the flip side, she has gotten away with alot....

It's probably much more sensitive for a boy.

I know, I know. I'm sure he gets it all the time and it makes me feel so much worse Sad.

newmommy:)

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:33 pm
what does s/o stand for? I thought someone but that doesnt make sense in the post title...?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 3:42 pm
newmommy:) wrote:
what does s/o stand for? I thought someone but that doesnt make sense in the post title...?

Spin off

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:01 pm
A friend turned to me right after the naming of my son (let's call him Avraham Yitzchak) at the bris and said "Yitzchak Avraham goes so much better than Avraham yitzchak, don't you think?"

I was like ummmm Hello??? shock taaaaactless....

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:16 pm
Me to elderly man picking up little girl from school: "oh, are you x's grandfather?"

He told me he was her father. embarrassed In my defense his wife (who I had seen many times) has to be at least 30 years younger then him.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
My father has always looked very young for his age. He is a BT and on his first ever date, when he was 14, he and the girl went to the movies. She was several inches taller than him. She went to buy the tickets and said one regular for her, and a child ticket for her little brother. My dad said he was so embarrassed, this girl did NOT get a second date, lol.

did he start dating at 14???

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:35 pm
newmommy wrote:

groovy1224 wrote:
Spin off

I kept seeing someone s/o

slk36

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 4:42 pm
Raisin wrote:
Me to elderly man picking up little girl from school: "oh, are you x's grandfather?"

He told me he was her father. embarrassed In my defense his wife (who I had seen many times) has to be at least 30 years younger then him.

Oh gosh, sounds like me. I was talking to two people who I assumed to be related--father and daughter--because of similarity, obvious age difference, and their degree of familiarity. I don't remember exactly why, but offhandedly commented to the "daughter", "Wow, you look so much like your father." She turned red and he looked really uncomfortable, and then he said, "Actually, she's my fiance." embarrassed

amother

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 6:40 pm
imaima wrote:
did he start dating at 14???

That's why I mentioned he's a BT. In the secular world, it's common for high school kids to date. Not for marriage, but just to have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

UQT

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:05 pm
Back when I was a newly married, an ancient lady in her 30's started working by us, far passing us all in age. One day she brought her eighth grader to introduce her to us saying "this is my big daughter". Used to all of us having little babies as our oldest I blurted out "wow, she's really big!". Only then did I realize her plus size and what I must have sounded like. This girl grew up, got thin (even after 4 kids!) and I'm still mortified when I think of this story.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette