Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Why does my chicken soup taste weird when I freeze it?

miracleshappen

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:15 pm
When I freeze my chicken soup it turns a dark brown and gets kind of sour...why is that?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:23 pm
What do you freeze it in? Do u freeze it with the veggies & chicken inside?

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:40 pm
It could be spoiling when you let it cool down too long or when you defrost it if you let it sit out for too long

proudmother1

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:41 pm
miracleshappen wrote:
When I freeze my chicken soup it turns a dark brown and gets kind of sour...why is that?

Sounds like its spoiled.

miracleshappen

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:37 pm
I usually freeze it with just the broth. I do keep it in the fridge over shabbos and freeze after shabbos, do you think it could be spoiling in my fridge??

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:39 pm
Just never let it sit uncovered, when you are using and serving it. Dust gets into it and grows. Take some, then promptly re-cover.

Chickpea

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 6:28 pm
miracleshappen wrote:
I usually freeze it with just the broth. I do keep it in the fridge over shabbos and freeze after shabbos, do you think it could be spoiling in my fridge??

It's sitting in the fridge too long and (I assume) bacteria is getting into it when sitting around for so long fri night. I make huge batches of chicken soup every few weeks. I let it cool in the fridge, divide into weekly portions then freeze immediately in rubbermaid containers. I freeze just the broth and a little bit of chicken. Every thurs I take out a portion from the freezer and let it defrost in the fridge. It's always fresh tasting. The flavor actually intensifies in the freezer. Never any spoilage.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:41 pm
miracleshappen wrote:

Yes. Buy a fridge thermometer. The optimum temp for a fridge is 38°.

I also freeze chicken soup. I made about 5 quarts today. I let it cool in the pot with the lid still on (important for keeping bacteria out), and then transferred some to a smaller pot which I refrigerated for this Shabbos and poured the rest into freezer containers, which I froze immediately. I pureed some of the vegetables and added them to the broth before freezing. Nothing spoils.

strawberry cola

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:57 pm
Another thing to consider is the type of container in which you freeze your soup. Cheap plastic might give a plasticky taste/smell to the soup. I suggest using quality containers, such as Rubbermaid, or FREEZABLE glass jars (I once used glass containers that broke in the freezer- make sure what you buy is freezer-friendly).

Blue jay

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:00 pm
I usually cook about 2-3 quarts of chicken soup at a time. Let it cool down covered until the pot isn't burning hot. Then place the pot in the fridge and surround it with lots of freezer packs, so the temp in my fridge doesn't go up.

The next day, I skim the fat on top. and then divide up the soup and freeze the extra batches.

Dont cook soup in those super jumbo pasta pots. It will never cool down in the fridge and will cause the temp to go up and spoil your other food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics