Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Chinaware

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 1:02 am
My mom wants to send me and my adult children full sets of beautiful chinaware, some sets belonged to her mother. So she sees this as giving us an heirloom. I tried to tell her that it's too expensive to ship that from US to Israel, not to mention they probably wont make the trip. But the truth is, I don't want to deal with the kashrus. Neither my mother nor my grandmother kept kosher. My mom insists that some of the dishes were never used.

Is there some way to make these dinner sets kosher?

Should I even worry about the kashrus of tea cups and tea pots?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 4:29 am
Maybe ask for only the silverware, serving utensils and other kasherable things. Use the same excuse of breakage during shipping.
Tell your mother that the bedding set means so much more to you than the china Wink

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:31 am
AYLOR. There are ways to kasher china that haven't been used in a long time.

hila

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:32 am
You will pay a fortune of tax on them, customs and VAT.

Even if you can prove they were not used (and have not been for more than a year) the cost is prohibitive, unless she finds someone sending a lift.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:35 am
if you don't want them - despite the reasons - please tell her upfront because I know I would want the recipient of such heirlooms to actually appreciate it's value

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 8:56 am
saw50st8 wrote:
AYLOR. There are ways to kasher china that haven't been used in a long time.

Right. Heirloom china in good condition can be kashered. If you like it, do ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions