Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please Help Me Make My Kitchen (More) Kosher

luppamom

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 12:44 pm
I recently moved to an apartment that belonged to a non-religious family. I have only one sink and my rav said that I need to cover the bottom. I have no idea where to start and I have piles of dishes everywhere since I don't want to put them in the sink.

What do I need to get for the bottom of the sink? (if you know the word in hebrew, even better)

Any ideas of how to organize which countertops are fleishigs/milchigs. I have a nice stretch then a stove in the corner, then a tiny space, then a sink then another tiny space (kinda like an upside-down L"

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 12:54 pm
Is the sink stainless steel (b/c then it is easily kashered)? I am assuming it is not.

What I think you need are steel wire racks that sit in the bottom and keep things raised off the bottom. They look like racks you would cool cookies on. Have one for dairy and one for meat. Don't let the sink fill with water with dishes in it and wash the sink out in between milchig and fleishig.

I don't know what your rav would say (you can ask him specifically what he meant) but some people might prefer to have full tub inserts. Standards may vary by community. I have two sinks (lucky me!) but have some friends who do racks and others who do tubs.

Your rebbetzin should be able to tell you what the things you needed are called in Hebrew Smile

amother

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:09 pm
I have something like this for my sink. I have it in 3 in different colors for meat, dairy and pareve.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....12097

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
I have something like this for my sink. I have it in 3 in different colors for meat, dairy and pareve.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....12097

In English, its called a sink protector. Rubbermaid makes them, and you can find them in any hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubberma.....ector

Sorry. No idea what they're called in Hebrew.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:17 pm
good old-fashioned rubbermaid dishpans

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Cate.....91319

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 1:24 pm
Yes.

Rinse the sink well with rapidly boiling water.

The, put in a wire drainer thing.

On top of that, a plastic basket. Red one for meat, blue one for milk, green one for Pesach, which is usually a meat week with no need for any dairy things.

You would also want separate plastic dish-dryer drainers for meat, milk, Pesach.

The counters are never food-prep surfaces so they can just be clean.

You would want separate cutting boards and knives.

Good luck in your new place.

eastsidemother

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:22 pm
I have a question too--we are also moving into a rental that was previously inhabited by non-Jews. Does a double sink count as two sinks? Or do the sinks have to be completely separate? By double sink I mean two sinks side-by-side separated by a stainless steel lip in the middle (both sinks are stainless), but one faucet for both sinks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen