Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Diapers don't work anymore

Beyla

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 1:40 pm
My 1yr old baby is constantly wet.

He drinks a lot (like really a lot), this isn't really a problem except diapers don't work anymore on him.
To be honest it would maybe be quite ok if I could change him like once or twice an hour but this is just impossible all the day. During the night I sometimes put him 2 diapers and it does the trick. During the day not so much (maybe because he moves more?)

I tried different brands and it doesn't change anything.
I don't see myself putting limitations of bottle of water.
I don't know what to do, I can't bear anymore changing his outfit completely at least 5 times a day, and finding out outside that he is completely wet.

Anyone, ideas, help??

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 1:47 pm
I've been through this for the last couple of years and now still struggle with the nights.
I wish I could tell you there's a solution! I definitely commiserate though...

kb

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 4:34 pm
Get the next size up.

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 4:41 pm
I would mention something to the pediatrician. It isn't normal that a one year old drinks and pees so much that he soaks through a diaper in less than two hours, especially if you've tried a larger size and various brands.

flmommy

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 5:04 pm
I also think you should mention to ped probably nothing but have sugar levels checked.

allrgymama

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 5:05 pm
Definitely speak to the pediatrician.

abaker

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 7:30 pm
I have this issue at night, switching to pampers overnights for my one year old helped but wetting through diapers in less than an hour is a different story. Did you go up a size? Also I noticed that ds was squirming so much the diapers were crooked sometimes and he was peeing up or out the side, not necessarily soaking the diaper...check to make sure the diaper is in snug and not crooked.

Beyla

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:25 am
Pediatrician said everything's fine if it's just water, he just found something he likes, for comfort, when I stopped nursing him.

Beyla

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:28 am
We already make sure to buy bigger but I will try the next size to test it. Thanks.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:35 am
rosarosa wrote:
Pediatrician said everything's fine if it's just water, he just found something he likes, for comfort, when I stopped nursing him.

Does the pediatrician realize how much you're talking about?

Beyla

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:37 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Does the pediatrician realize how much you're talking about?

Yes.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:45 am
Will he take a paci? You might want to find something besides water that will work for him. Ask your ped how many bottles of water he should have a day, and stick to that amount. Get him to use the paci in between bottles. If he doesn't take to a paci, try a teething ring or something else he can safely put in his mouth.

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 12:52 am
A 1 yr old can have a blood test to check blood sugar. Push your ped to check for diabetes, just to be sure. IME, kids that age only need one diaper every two hours.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 4:15 am
My daughter was drinking too much water, and because of this was not putting on enough weight (she was filling up on water). Nutritionist said I have to cut down so that she eats more. Try giving him a pacifier instead.

Classicookie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 6:18 pm
About how many oz a day is he drinking? and how often ?maybe try cutting down an oz at a time and see if that helps I once watched a boy who needed a dipper change not long after he drank but when he didn't drink for a while he dint need to be changed .

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 7:07 pm
In terms of wetness solutions, try a couple of tricks from the cloth diaper world.

Use these as a doubler inside larger diapers, at least for occasions when you know you won't be able to change as quickly as you might need.

Also, you can try putting a reusable cloth diaper cover over a regular diaper, they do help contain messes. Thirsties and Bummis are two of the most popular brands for covers. Polarfleece pants might also help keep wetness in - just avoid using onesies or size them up so that they're not squishing the pish out right onto the cotton.

Beyla

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 8:19 am
Thanks for the answers! He won't take a pacifier, I tried ...
Spring I will look into your idea, sounds like what I need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics