Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Mikvah in Chicago info please!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:11 pm
I'm going to be in Chicago soon and will need to go to the mikvah there. How are they in Chicago? Which ones would you recommend? Any nice ones in West Rogers Park area, or is there a nicer one somewhere else that's worth the travel?

Also--the place that I'm staying at doesn't have a tub. Do the mikvahs in Chicago offer a bathtub, or do you have to come fully prepared?

How is the experience there in general? I get so nervous when I use a new place!

TIA!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:34 pm
They just redid the Touhy Avenue mikvah in West Rogers Park about a year ago. It's very nice/spa-like and the rooms have tubs and showers. You do need to call to make an appointment, otherwise they can't guarantee you a spot. Some nights are extremely busy and other nights are slow, but it's best not to take chances and make a phone appointment. They use a phone automated reservation system that they got from Lakewood, apparently. You can enter your cell phone number to reserve your date and time. You can call up to 2 days in advance for an appointment.

Chicago Mikvah Association
Touhy Mikvah
3110 W. Touhy Avenue
Chicago, IL 60645

Main Number to call for more information (mikvah receptionist is probably there beginning around 8:30pm Central Time) - 773- 274-7425

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 8:05 pm
Thanks so much!! That was exactly what I needed.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 09 2013, 12:47 pm
I have not been to the mikva in a few months (nearly 9 LOL ) but AFAIK they only reserve half the rooms for appointments. the other rooms are first come first serve. of course it could be this changed... but I cannot imagine.

The mikva is nice. It is not gorgeous, but very pretty. has everything you should need. There is another mikva in Skokie (on Dempster) that is appointment only- but I never went there so cant tell you how nice it is or isnt- but the Touhy was just fixed up so its probably nicer.

It costs $21. they do charge extra for certain items like tooth brushes I think (unless they changed it in the last few months), but most things are available in the room.

There is also a mikva that I know nothing about by the lubavitch shul on devon.... cant remember the name right now...

and then there are a couple more mikvos that are only open for friday/y"t night by appt only.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 11:21 pm
I am interested in this info too - does anyone know if an appointment is necessary if I will show up at opening time?

busydev

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 12:16 am
you do not need to make an appt. the earlier you show up the more likely you wont have a wait... but even if you dont show up first thing you probably wont have much of a wait. only time I had to wait was when they were doing construction and on a couple motzei shabbosim.

asd3

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 12:41 pm
I actually had a time a couple months ago where it was really busy and when I tried making an appt nothing was available till pretty late. You should definitely make an appt though there is prob more availability now that shkiya is earlier

amother

Post Fri, Oct 18 2013, 4:09 pm
The lubavitch mikvah is in bnei ruvein. It is a really nice mikvah and I've only had good experiences there.
As far as I know they made it to accommodate different minhagin.

It's by appointment. Call the phone and they'll tell you who is in call that night. You call that person and make up a time. They have always been very accommodating.

773-743-4282

amother

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 11:26 am
I need to go in a few days and it's been awhile. They used to have a automated phone number for appointments, has the number changed? I tried 773-274-7133 which is the number I used to use but it's not working.

I'm trying to make an appt at Touhy

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
I need to go in a few days and it's been awhile. They used to have a automated phone number for appointments, has the number changed? I tried 773-274-7133 which is the number I used to use but it's not working.

I'm trying to make an appt at Touhy

The reservation number is 773-274-7133 according to the Acheinu Directory.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:18 am
OOTBubby wrote:
The reservation number is 773-274-7133 according to the Acheinu Directory.

FYI: Apparently their computer system is down which means the reservation number wont work. It's seems it's been down for a good few days already.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:36 am
It's not unusual for the number to be down, or for their phone system to crash and lose all the appointments so that they have to scramble that night accommodating people. It's a pretty unstable system - but heaven forbid they use a system with multiple access points that also involves email/web based scheduling. Everything has to be modeled after the Lakewood way of doing things, and internet is assur.

There are walk-in hours, so you can just show up, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a bit. Otherwise, just call Bnei Reuven and make an appointment with them.

Bnei Ruven Community Mikvah
6350 N. Whipple Street
Chicago, IL 60659
Phone: (773) 743-4282, (773) 743-1578
Fax: (773) 743-3446

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
It's not unusual for the number to be down, or for their phone system to crash and lose all the appointments so that they have to scramble that night accommodating people. It's a pretty unstable system - but heaven forbid they use a system with multiple access points that also involves email/web based scheduling. Everything has to be modeled after the Lakewood way of doing things, and internet is assur.

There are walk-in hours, so you can just show up, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a bit. Otherwise, just call Bnei Reuven and make an appointment with them.

Bnei Ruven Community Mikvah
6350 N. Whipple Street
Chicago, IL 60659
Phone: (773) 743-4282, (773) 743-1578
Fax: (773) 743-3446

Thank you Amother! I'm thinking of going to Skokie since I'm always worried about parking at the mikva anyways.

This is unbelievably frustrating. I really don't want to wait in a waiting room full of people that I meet in Jewel.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:14 pm
One more question, does anyone know how to make an appt at Skokie? Their phone number doesn't have an option for appointments.

Thanks

busydev

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:21 pm
I have never used the Skokie Mikva but I do not think they have an automated system. Try calling during open hours or leave a message that you want to make an appt.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 3:33 pm
I just went to Touhy this week while the automated system was down and there was no wait and an almost open parking lot. They open at 6:30 now, and I got there around 7. I think most people come after the kids are in bed, so the earlier you go, the less likely there will be a wait.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics