Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Wwyd-selling house

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 8:40 pm
I had no idea where to post this. so here it is. I am in the process of selling my house. I have a tenant and she is paying 1700 a monthe including a large front porch and 3 bedrooms. its a old house. so I had a lot of roof leaking issues. the tenant is living here a little over 4 yrs. I put in about 8000 dollars yes it sounds crazy but that was it. to fix the roof. till it got fixed I had leaks. I did whatever I could to get it fixed. I took the most expensive roofer in my area. philip roofing. I have a guarantee for 10 yrs. anytime theres problems I can call them. so my tenant is frustrated from that. something I couldnt have forseen. now everytime I bring in a potential buyer she tells them its leaking and then when I ask her what she told them she says I only said theres a crack from before. she lies to me straight out. something very big here too. all pp in the area are charging 2100 for the same apartment. what in the world should I do? she is definitley angry that I am selling. why is she? I am not allowed to? comeon that isnt an answer. I also didnt know that it would be sold so quickly. within a week of putting it on the market I got a serious buyer. so she doesnt beleive me either. she is shocked abotu it. is that a reason to make up stories? to lie to me and to potential buyers? help me here I need some insight.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:09 pm
Your tenant may fear that a buyer will
--evict her
--raise her rent
--bring in a tenant she doesn't like
--live in the house and be someone she doesn't like.
--remodel the main part and bring in contractors resulting in noise, dust, paint fumes and the like for a long time

SYA

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:09 pm
When a tenant is seriously interested in the house, before they come down to view it, notify them that there was a problem with the roof leaking for a few months, but thank G-D you recently got a very experienced and qualified roofer to come fix it. He has given you a 10 year guarantee. They may bring along their own roofer to check it out, or can call your roofer to confirm.

Then, when this woman talks about leaks the potential buyer will already know that it has recently been fixed.

As for charging rent way below the market going rate, you can raise it when the annual "lease" is up. Just notify her in advance (30 days written notice - she should sign for it). If you plan on selling before that time, the new owners can charge what they want, or decide to live there and tell her to move. That will be their choice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 9:16 pm
SYA wrote:
When a tenant is seriously interested in the house,they come down to view it, notify them that there was a problem with the roof leaking for a few months, but thank G-D you recently got a very experienced and qualified roofer to come fix it. He has given you a 10 year guarantee. They may bring along their own roofer to check it out, or can call your roofer to confirm.

Then, when this woman talks about leaks the potential buyer will already know that it has recently been fixed.

As for charging rent way below the market going rate, you can raise it when the annual "lease" is up. Just notify her in advance (30 days written notice - she should sign for it). If you plan on selling before that time, the new owners can charge what they want, or decide to live there and tell her to move. That will be their choice.
This.

Tell them before they schedule to come down for a viewing.

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 10:17 pm
sya and ra mom-have you experience selling house? would you do this really? I never heard someone say this

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:02 pm
ramom and SYA I would love to hear your answers.

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:05 pm
and I just lost a customer that wanted the house and said no after hearing what the tenant said. I hope she will still change her mind. but again I probably lost them. I guess it isnt bashert. I need to remember that all the time so I dont get lost. and remember that hashem can do anything anytime. regardless what others will say or do.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Nov 24 2014, 11:20 pm
If your house is in a desirable area you will have people who are interested anyway, and they will hire their own people to do inspections and whatnot. So don't worry too much.

SYA

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:21 am
I only purchased a new condo. Never sold property.

I do recall once hearing from someone who knows these things, that when checking out a house to always ask about the roof, foundation, basement (flooding). Also, the potential buyer would greatly benefit from having their own inspection done on the house. Then if there are major repairs needed you can either ask for a lower price, or the seller has it fixed for you.

I don't think you have anything to lose by being up front as it seems that your tenant is interested in stopping you from the selling the house and will therefore tell prospective buyers lies that it is still leaking even though they know it has been fixed. You can offer the tenant to bring their own contractor to check it out themselves.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 12:49 am
sourstix wrote:
sya and ra mom-have you experience selling house? would you do this really? I never heard someone say this

I worked in real estate for 6 years. If there is a problem that will come up, yes, definitely bring it up yourself first, in a positive light, before the potential buyer hears it with the negative spin and runs for the hills.
But even putting my real estate experience aside, this concept holds true in all areas of life.

vicki

Post Tue, Nov 25 2014, 2:42 am
Show your house when your tenant is not home.
When do they have a chance to talk?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics