Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Keyless Front Door Lock

Gela

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 8:54 pm
Does anybody have advice on what to look for in a keyless front door deadbolt lock? After being locked out of our apartment many times, it's time we get a number pad lock. We want to be able to use the lock on Shabbos and need excellent security all week! What brand/lock do you have and would you recommend?

The kids forget keys, we forget keys, the door slams shut when I'm doing laundry in the building's laundry room....

Thanks!

Tova

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:00 pm
We have one, and while they are not cheap (I think ours was $90 installed) it has been worth every penny. I never use my key. I never have to worry about carrying or not carrying one. Whenever we have guests, I just give them the combo and never have to worry about having an extra key to give them. I don't remember different kinds to choose from - we just had a locksmith put in what he gives other frum people. We did it in conjuntion with him changing all the outside locks after we bought our house.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:05 pm
a few years ago, when we contacted a locksmith regarding installing shabbos combination locks, we were told there were two main kinds:
one has only about five numbers, but it's more secure because it has to be entered in the exact order and the combination can use the same number several times or several numbers at once, so there are more options and it is more difficult to break the code.
the other one has about twelve digits, but it is easier to guess because the numbers can be put in any order.
I would also suggest that you be careful who you give the code to.

JC

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:10 pm
I have an electronic one, so I cant use it on shabbat, but I chose it because its easy to change the codes and I can have a few different codes at the same time.

I love it - its the kind you can get at home depo or lowes, and I installed it myself.

If I were inclined to lock my doors on shabbat I could use the backup key... the nice thing about living in middle America is that on shabbat I dont bother locking my door if I am not home.

SingALong

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:12 pm
I have both the 5 button for one door and the 12 button for another door. I never knew one is more secure than the other, I would think the one with more numbers would be more secure since it's harder to figure out code...

I paid about $100 for it, had a locksmith install it.

The 12 button one jammed a couple of times the 5 button was always smooth

clowny

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:17 pm
I have an electronic keypad, I love it. It cannot be used on shabbos though but for shabbos I unlock that and use the regular combination lock.

The advantage of the electronic keypad is that the door is alway locked, it locks automatically when the door gets shut and you use the keypad to let yourself in. But you have to remember to unlock it on shabbos when leaving the house.

zehavatov

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 9:49 pm
I have 3 lock on my door and only use the number lock. Its a great convenience!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 7:27 am
what brand is a good one ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics