Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What is a grill pan? does it need a cover?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:06 pm
What is the point of a grill pan? Is it a regular frying pan but the food ends up with grill marks? Is it the same thing as a george forman grill but uses the stove as a heat source?
I see that the grill pans that come with covers are much more expensive. Would I need a cover?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:18 pm
Yes, it is a pan that can be used stovetop as a grill.
It does not generally need a cover.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 9:24 pm
I have an inexpensive grill pan with no cover. Under $15 at TJ Maxx or similar, IIRC.

It really creates a grill effect. It's not just the lines, it's that you can cook at high heat with very little grease and the fat drips down between the ridges. Similar to George Foreman concept except I believe in those the heat comes from both sides at once whereas with a grill pan you have to flip things. Maybe a cover would make the top get done more evenly? The only other reason I could see wanting a cover, which is clearly not why they make them in the first place, is to prevent fleishig grilling from splattering on parve or dairy things you've left out on the stovetop. This is the kind of thing I am a little prone to doing... but fairly easily avoidable. No disasters yet. It doesn't splash much anyway, not at all like frying though a little splashing does happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen