Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
UPK- Does your school charge?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 9:56 pm
My question is regarding the UPK program. The govt funds the school for students who are eligible due to low income. The school receives money from the government to fund these children's education.

Our schools have the program. and we qualify for the UPK program.... yet my school is still charging us tuition!!

I am confused. Am I missing something? Do all schools charge for UPK?

STovah

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:09 pm
In the schools I am familiar with (3 in Brooklyn) they charge for pre-k even though they get funding for UPK.

Realize that the UPK school day doesn't need to be more than 2.5 hours, so if the school day is longer, they can charge you for the 'after hours' component.

and UPK is not an income-based program. The "U" stands for universal.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:21 pm
http://schools.nyc.gov/Choices.....t.htm

I would think it's illegal to charge extra since the government is paying

octopus

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:37 pm
upk classes are timewise very short. if your school is charging it is for the rest of the day. I agree, though, it somehow smells unethical.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:41 pm
Universal PreK is an age based program and all 4 year olds are eligible no matter what their family income. if it is a half day program they charge you for the extra hours. If not I am sure they find a reason to charge you tuition. But it definitely should be a reduced rate because the reimbursement for UPK is way more than what we pay full tuition.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:49 pm
My school has a pretty low tuition rate. We pay preschool even though they get something but like that we pay less in the older grades.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:05 pm
I'm bumping this thread because I'd like to know if anyone has an factual information re UPK. Are the schools allowed to still charge full tuition?

We have had a change in our income since we applied to dd's school and now. We are having a hard time with the tuition, which is exorbitant. We did expect a upk discount since so many other schools do offer it. However a discount was not offered. As uncomfortable as it was we asked if we can get a upk discount. The board came back and said that they do not offer that.

While it is certainly not decent, is this normal? Legal? (I have to say my opinion of the school went way down)

It is very disappointing.

Anon cuz I have discussed this IRL.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 9:52 pm
Yes, the school can charge whatever they want since the school day is longer than what upk covers. It isn't very respectable though for them to not pass along some of the savings.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 10:25 pm
Does anyone know how many hours are mandated for full day upk? Ds attends a yeshiva charging for full day upk and they had to extend the hours and it now totals about 32 hours. Public school upk is 31 hours. So I am paying 6000 a year for an hour a week??????

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 10:42 pm
Upk is 2.5 hours for half day and 6.5 for full day. I doubt your school is full day because they would not be allowed to teach limudei kodesh at all for those hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics