Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
AM I being Cheap?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:20 am
My ds is in a special program..he has a rebbe- 6 days a week, teacher- 4 days a week a full time assistant,
Secretary and director of program...speech therapist 2x a week and ot 1x a week.
I was thinking of giving the Rebbe $72 teacher $54 assistant $50 Secretary $36..I don't know if I should give the director..he is very involved but if I did I would give him $54 I have know idea what to give therapists its getting out of hand...anyway are the amounts above too cheap?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 11:38 am
imho- when I worked as TA in special ed school- e/t was appreciated & we s/t got just $10 or gift that is in that price range. what we liked the most was the note attached!

IMHopinion

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:32 pm
Not cheap at all. It's actually nice.

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 3:10 pm
Definitely not cheap. Many people don't even think to tip the secretary, director, etc. or at best chip in together with others to make a nice gift by giving a smaller amount each. But the reality is that these people really do a ton for the kids, the programs wouldn't be able to run without them, their work and especially the attitude with which they do it makes a huge difference, and they are usually underpaid and unappreciated. So it is definitely a good idea, but if you can't afford it then just do what you can as a token of appreciation.

Therapists work hard and do a lot for your child personally so they too definitely deserve appreciation, but generally speaking they get paid better in the first place so the actual value of the gift doesn't have to be that much. It's not the same as recognizing a secretary who constantly feels ignored and gets treated like a piece of furniture.

I hope the therapists around here don't start throwing tomatoes at me. I'm not trying to deprive anyone of their due, just presenting a perspective. I happen to be a therapist-of-sorts and this is still my feeling; I appreciate being appreciated but don't need monetary gifts for that, I get paid decently for what I do and it really is the thought that counts.

devash1

Post Sat, Dec 13 2014, 2:16 pm
You are so generous. I live in israel, and when I try and arrange a group present I find it so hard to get all of the parents to contribute and that's where I only ask for 60 shekels total for two teachers plus some therapists.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics