Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Building a house. What would you love to have?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

reportrmom

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 7:52 am
This sounds spoiled because I do have a flaishig dishwasher but I would so love one for dairy too.

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 8:28 am
Some of my thoughts from experience:

Pesach kitchen is a must. You can cook without worry of chametz 4-6 weeks before Pesach. This works both ways, you can cook calmly for pesach in that room, while still cooking proper chametz meals for your family in the kitchen until the last day. One doesn't affect the other.

Whole room, with sink, dishwasher, stove, oven, and cupboards/drawers for yout dishes, post, cutlery etc.

Most can be covered year-round so you can still use the room for general storage or even ironing/washing.

Allow for a succah, maybe indoors if you like that.

Separate Milchig and fleishig dishwashers are great if you have the space.

Sink in dining room, water splashes on your carpet/flooring, leading to rotting etc.

Parve sink, what for? Just leads to confusion if you ask me. How many parve dishes/utensils will you have. Will you remember what's what? And don't fool yourself, sinks take up quite a bit of room.

Boiling hot water tap sounds like a huge (kids) safety issue. I wouldn't risk it. Even if you think they can't reach, they can.

Also, I don't know about people here, but I generally only have guests on shabbos or YT. When you can't use a boiling tap anyway. Well, depending on your system you might be able to use in on YT, but not shabbos.

Never heard of a mud room in my life. Googled it, clearly an "American" thing Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 8:54 am
ra_mom wrote:

outdoor kitchen
studio guest apartment
studio maid's quarters

just some ideas I would love if I could go crazy...

Curious about the outdoor kitchen -- why you would want it (to watch your kids as you cook?) and what it would include.

And does your maid's quarters come with a maid? LOL

sky

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 9:19 am
I DREAM of an out door kitchen. For summer BBQs and cooking. We eat outside a lot in the summer and grill at least once a week if not more. I would love a built in grill with a gas line, sink, fridge and counter space for food prep.

Linen closet in the kitchen for towel, aprons. Hanging space to hang tablecloths.
Formal Butler Pantry\Wet Bar to connect the kitchen and Dining room with sink for washing, ice machine, fridge for drinks and condiments, storage for glasses, china, serving pieces, alchohol, counter space for drink serving.
Appliance Closet to store appliances that aren't used so often and special occasion serving pieces (like those fish plates I only use on rosh hashana)
Walk in food pantry
Laundry Room on the second floor with lots of hanging and drying space.
Playroom with lots of storage
Huge Living Room Dining Room combination to host simchas.
Mud Room with cubbies for each child and lots of storage and hanging place.
Pareve sink and dishwasher (I don't need a milchig one).
Master Bathroom.
Large Linen closet
His and her offices
Lots of Windows and natural light

And Most of All: SELF CLEANING!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 2:57 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
In my totally dream home (meaning, not realistic dreams), I would have HUGE library with bookshelves high up and one of those rolling ladders to get to the top shelves.

We are planning exactly that in 2 rooms of our new home; in my husband's study and in the den. Not sure if we will actually do that kind of ladder, but it will be something of the sort as the bookcases will top 8' high.

imaima

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
I like to shop for household items and kids clothes on sale. In my dream house there would be plenty of storage space for these things.

Are you kiddin? In your dream house, you will afford everything for a full price!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 5:05 pm
a peep hole to see who is at the door

a mail slot Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 7:53 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
We are planning exactly that in 2 rooms of our new home; in my husband's study and in the den. Not sure if we will actually do that kind of ladder, but it will be something of the sort as the bookcases will top 8' high.

I'm drooling!

We have a room off of our living room that we call our "library." It was supposed to be my library but then we had kids and it's a playroom now. We still call it the library. It has some built in bookshelves where we store DH's sefarim but that's about it. When my kids are older, I am going to hire someone to build in really nice bookcases with benches (we have windows on 3 walls, so those will have to be low with benches on top) and turn it into a real library for reading.

I also want to put this in there: http://www.pier1.com/Swingasan.....art=1

It's amazingly comfortable and would be so much fun to curl up and read on.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 8:09 pm
Our house has a half study with shelving floor to ceiling and I love it. It is such a great use of space . I could use even more. In my dream house I would have a full size study with the same shelving. Nothing fancy but strong enough to hold many sefarim and books.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 10:44 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Curious about the outdoor kitchen -- why you would want it (to watch your kids as you cook?) and what it would include.

And does your maid's quarters come with a maid? LOL
Outdoor kitchen would be for grilling and entertaining, both of which I love to do, particularly outdoors.
Would include a built in grill, range, ice maker, refrigerator, sink, dishwasher (all under counter).

And of course the maid's quarters would come with a maid LOL Hey, if there's enough capital for a custom built home, there would have to be enough capital for a maid to maintain that home Cool

If you would know how small my actual apartment is, you would understand that like I said, these are just some ideas I would love if I could go crazy Tongue Out

amother

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 11:14 pm
[quote="Raisin"]Seriously, you don't let them use your other bathrooms? How do you implement that?

And whats the weather like in Mississippi in 1952?[/quote

Anyone read 'The Help'?

cookiejar

Post Wed, Dec 24 2014, 11:20 pm
Pareve dishwasher and sink

ROFL

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 2:11 am
cbg wrote:
A very large kitchen sink.
When I redid my kitchen I went to Home Depot to get a sink.
I wanted a sink that was bigger than standard.
The next size up was too expensive.
They had a super large and deep one that was 1/2 the price.
I thought to myself that looks like a bathtub.
I love my sink it makes washing dishes so easy.
Also, get a long neck faucet. The water should fall as close to you as possible this will save your back, so you don't have to bend over your sink as much.

Can you take a picture of your sink and post it or find a link to it on Home Depot. I need to replace the faucet and possibly my sink and yours sound good.

ohsleepy1

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 3:10 am
Just built a house and closed 6 weeks ago. There are so many things I wanted and didn't get because I didn't realize things and so many things I couldn't afford. But BH we now have a beautiful home!

Things I wanted and got:
3 sinks, 2 ovens, 2 microwaves, 2 dishwashers
(just realize that with a double wall oven like I got, if 1 breaks they both may be broken!)
pesach kitchen
play room off the kitchen
deck in backyard
built-in desk in kitchen (matching our cabinets and granite) for computer so it's in plain sight of everyone
insta-hot &garbage disposal (make sure to tell electrician you want these before he wires house because it's hard to do after)
picture windows in study & dining room
gas fireplace
5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 2nd floor
laundry room on 2nd floor with bedrooms
jaccuzi in master bathroom
double coat of moisture cure polyurethane on wood floors
attic fan

Things I wanted and didn't get:
large master shower
all showers with 1 inch colorful tiled floors
backsplash
carpeting on stairs and 2nd floor hallways (too loud without carpeting to muffle sound!)
fence in backyard with play equipment
finish my pesach kitchen
a finished basement
an attic you can use as a room (it's only 4-5 ft tall, can't really stand in there)
pool

Also, remember your closing cost is likely going to be tens of thousands of dollars.
Lighting fixtures & fans cost a lot of money, we're going on about $3,000 already
Handyman work after you move in to hang fixtures, install shabbos lock, etc already cost us $1000+
shades (not the temporary ones) cost $30-$150/each
electrician charged us extra $8,000 for extra plugs and hi hats we wanted as well as under cabinet LED's and cove lighting in tray ceilings
I bought sample cans of each color paint for $7 and rolled them onto each wall before I paid the painter to do it and am sure glad I did because some of the colors were terrible and I got to change them before it was done by the painter

Good luck!

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 4:57 am
We built several times...
A laundry in the second floor (with the bedrooms)
Pesach kitchen with dishwasher & fridge
Kids playroom off kitchen
Milchig & fleishig everything (dishwashers, ovens, sinks, stoves, rangehoods)
Appliance kitchen cupboards
Ensuite all the bathrooms to bedrooms.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics