Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How important is the gentle cycle?

June

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 4:04 am
I have a knit baby outfit that says "Machine wash cold gentle cycle."

all my clothing is cotton and very washable, so I have nothing else to wash in a gentle cycle load, and I don't want to run a whole cycle for just one item. if I wash it in the regular cycle, will it get stretched out and ruined?

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 4:20 am
June wrote:
I have a knit baby outfit that says "Machine wash cold gentle cycle."

all my clothing is cotton and very washable, so I have nothing else to wash in a gentle cycle load, and I don't want to run a whole cycle for just one item. if I wash it in the regular cycle, will it get stretched out and ruined?

Maybe it will shrink or get out of shape.
If it's just one thing I would soak it in the sink, gently rub by hand and rinse.

devash1

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:00 am
I never use he delicate cycle and all of my knits seem to come out o.k. My things are so dirty that I don't think hand washing or the delicate cycle would get then clean.

tf

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:58 am
I think I'm the most practical mom around. I wash all clothing (sorted, of course, and thank HASHEM for giving me patience for this) in regular cycle, hot water, same detergent. Nothing happens, except for once when I had to wash my girl's gowns after a chasana and return it to the gemach. Oh my, was that a disaster!!! Sorry, sorry, sorry for ruining those dresses. And my teenage daughter's cashmere sweaters. Otherwise, never had a problem.

luppamom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 6:24 am
Only IIRC you live in Israel. If you have an Israeli washer, it's harder on clothes. I wouldn't risk it. Do you have any of your own delicate stuff? I usually wash my Shabbos clothes, tights, anything nice on delicate. I just stick in the baby stuff to my load if needed. You can use baby detergent for the whole load if the baby has sensitive skin. You can put it in a mesh bag as well to protect it.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 6:28 am
I wouldn't bother with the gentle cycle, but the water temperature is pretty important if you want to be sure it won't shrink. Do you do anything else in a regular cold wash? Or could you this once? I wouldn't move socks, underwear, or towels to a cold load (even once), but adults' shirts or bottoms or pajamas can probably go a little cooler once in a while.

June

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:28 am
luppamom wrote:
Only IIRC you live in Israel. If you have an Israeli washer, it's harder on clothes. I wouldn't risk it. Do you have any of your own delicate stuff? I usually wash my Shabbos clothes, tights, anything nice on delicate. I just stick in the baby stuff to my load if needed. You can use baby detergent for the whole load if the baby has sensitive skin. You can put it in a mesh bag as well to protect it.

that's correct.

I don't really have anything else that's delicate. all my clothes are very sturdy, even my Shabbos stuff. water_bear88, you also live here. do you have an Israeli/European machine? (mine is a bosch) I have also heard that these machines are harder on clothes than American machines. I'm just a bit nervous about putting it in the regular cold cycle because it's my baby's only nice outfit and we have a few family simchas coming up.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 8:03 am
I haven't had a problem so far with Israeli washing machines. (Though I did most things by hand until I got married, so I only have 2 years' experience or so with the machines.)

I do delicates in the regular cold load, though usually I'll put them in a mesh bag. I have a couple of lacy bras that get washed this way (more regularly than other items) and they've been ok so far. The mesh bag opened up in the wash recently and the nylon stockings I'd had in there were fine. We have a Normande washer.
If you're worried, it's always safe to handwash wool!

luppamom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 8:07 am
If you're worried, I really don't think it should be a big deal to hand wash it especially if it's not worn regularly, unless it's filthy! I used to wash my stockings like this when I was pregnant. All you need is one of those negel vasser bowls and obviously some water and soap. I wouldn't want to do a whole load like this, but for one thing, it really isn't a big deal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry