Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
ISO fluffy whole wheat knaidlach recipe

shuls_613

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 5:54 am
Does anyone have one? Or tried using whole wheat matza meal with their's?

Also anyone ever froze knaidlach? I would love to make a large batch and then freeze the extra- but I'm not sure how it would come out.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 8:53 am
I freeze knaidlach, no problem.
Now about fluffy whole wheat knaidlach, on first blush that sounds like one of those delightful oxymorons that could be a rock band title. I am curious myself. My guess is, use a little less matzah meal than called for. And - and I have idea of the science behind this - I'll share my regular knaidlach recipe: when I add a spoonful or two of water they trend to cannon ball but as is, they're fluffy. So maybe you should stay away from a recipe that calls for added water?
1 egg, 1 Tbsp. oil, 1/4 cup matzah meal, spices. Multiply recipe as needed. Refrigerate for at least half an hour, drop into boiling salted water, cover, reduce to simmer for a half hour or so.

sbs

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:40 am
I make whole wheat knaidlach and freeze them all the time

I use the recipe from the blue bobov cookbook (the simcha one)

it's called guaranteed professional knaidlach, (I'm at work so I can't look it up)

I use w/w matzo meal instead of regular one but don't change anything else

the batch makes around 20 knaidlach (depends on the size) and I freeze them in ziploc bags in portions taht I would need for each week

if you don't know how many to put together, then I would freeze them on a cookie sheet individually and once they're frozen bag them, so you will be able to separate each one from the other

becky2345

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:55 am
I've done it! I ground my own whole wheat matza and used my regular recipe ( matza meal, eggs, oil, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt.). didnt find any difference, other than the color, which was slightly darker. I also freeze the matzo balls after I cook them...

shuls_613

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 3:51 am
Thanks for the responses. I ended up trying a recipe I found on a different thread before your responses came. They tasted fine but they didn't really seem to cook enough the first time- I think I didn't do it long enough- so they weren't so fluffy. My husband said that they tasted like they were supposed to be fluffy so I take that as a good attempt.

jflower

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 10:54 am
OP, I tried the recipe below for soft matzoh balls & found that the baking powder made them fluffier than my previous attempts which were truly belly bombers. This is my go-to recipe now. BTW I use oil, not schmaltz.

http://www.food.com/recipe/kos.....94412 knaidlach recipe

Liebs

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 10:56 am
Use seltzer instead of water!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics