Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you do when your baby whines all day???

amother

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 4:44 am
I'm going crazy... this week my 6 month old baby has been whining all the time... making a complaining noise the whole time, not quite crying. He used to sit and play for a few minutes here and there, now he gets unhappy after a few seconds...

He also won't nap properly so he's probably getting overtired. I do think he's teething but there's nothing much to do about that?

How do YOU cope with the constant whining noise? It affects me psychologically... I feel like I want to tear my hair out.

heidi

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 5:34 am
First of all, you take him to the dr. to make sure there is nothing physically wrong. Ask about ear infections, teething etc.
Then you hold and hold and hold and hold. Talk on the phone, watch tv, play on your computer some of the time if it's too much for you. But this is your job right now. Embrace it, soon he'll be old and won't want hugs and kisses.
I promise this will pass.

heidi

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 5:34 am
Also, ask your dr. what pain relievers can be used for teething.

mom in france

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 6:50 am
amother wrote:
I'm going crazy... this week my 6 month old baby has been whining all the time... making a complaining noise the whole time, not quite crying. He used to sit and play for a few minutes here and there, now he gets unhappy after a few seconds...

He also won't nap properly so he's probably getting overtired. I do think he's teething but there's nothing much to do about that?

How do YOU cope with the constant whining noise? It affects me psychologically... I feel like I want to tear my hair out.

BTDT! If it is teething , of course there are things to give to calm down the pain, so baby will be less whiny, and hopefully sleep better at night too. I dont know where u live but I like to try homeopathy, but sometimes the pain is just too much & it doesnt help so I give the equivalent of infant tynelol ( although I hate doing that but I cant let my baby suffer) and before putting to bed too. Try to do what you can when he sleeps so you are free to hold him or take him for walks ( if he is calmer with that) when he is awake. Good luck!!

imasinger

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 6:50 am
Your OP reminds me of the Duchess's poem from Alice in Wonderland:

Speak roughly to your little boy
And beat him when he sneezes
He only does it to annoy
Because he knows it teases.

Your little one is making those noises because something is not right, and whatever it is probably causes him more discomfort than his whinng causes you.

I agree with Heidi; take him to the doctor and get him looked at. He is crying, and not sleeping well; something is wrong. If it has gone on for a full week, it may not be just teething, especially at 6 months.

If you are a SAHM, (or even if you are not), please get someone to sit for you long enough for you to take a breather and come back to your baby with more sympathy than annoyance. You will both benefit.

imaima

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 7:52 am
Hold them, nurse them, give them pain killer if you are sure it's teething. Take to the doctor to rule out illness!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 8:06 am
OP here - updating - it's still going on. He's not sick. imasinger - what o you mean that it might not just be teething, especially at 6 months?

The worst is that it's only when he's with just me. When DH is home he is happy as anything...

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 8:33 am
Did you see the doctor?

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 5:10 pm
after you rule out any illness ... or teething ... put him in a swingy ... they were a life saver for one of my babies for those moments you just can't hold them all day

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 5:22 pm
I had that...seemed like baby would whine all day with me and be fine with someone else. It was my tone and attitude. Once I realized I was trying to do a zillion other things and expected too much from a baby (play on the floor while I cook, clean, take care of other kids, browse internet) I thought I was just needing "two minutes" to get something accomplished but all the two minutes add up to quite a long time for baby to entertain themselves. On top of teething is it possible baby needs undivided attention a little more?

-hire a babysitter for a few hours a day or a chesed girl
-wear baby in a carrier
-put baby in swing or jumperoo if you need to do something
-put baby in a bouncer or carseat or bumboo right near you and talk to baby, dance around, sing, whatever to keep baby connected while your cooking or whatever. When he starts nibbling you can give puffed cereal or other finger foods in a high chair next to you.

And this stage passes fast, cherish every moment!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics