Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Wives of service/repairmen- electrician/plumber/handyman etc

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:08 am
Do you help your husband's business? My husband is in the service industry and trying to establish himself. I have free time and would love to help him. Obviously, I can't do the physical work (I don't have the strength or the skill), but I really want to help him succeed.

I know a number of women who do their husband's book-keeping/office work. How did you start doing that? What programs do you use?

I will take all helpful hints and tips.

TIA.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:13 am
do you feel women are incapable of said work ... you ought to try it sometime - you might just have more skill set than you are aware

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 12:29 am
greenfire wrote:
do you feel women are incapable of said work ... you ought to try it sometime - you might just have more skill set than you are aware

My husband was a carpenter and when we were first married and broke he showed me how to set prefab door jambs. We would work in developments and get paid piece work for each jamb we set. Over the years I've become skilled in most of the building trades and fix my own appliances.

And not to take this further afield, does your husband want your help?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:03 pm
Yep, he def. wants me to do his building and run his "back office".... I was just wondering how/what else I could do.

Fave

Post Mon, Jan 26 2015, 10:37 pm
For billing and bookkeeping, I suggest quickbooks. Very simple to setup a service company and will allow you to have a complete company financial snapshot at all times.

Besides being on top of receivables (very important) and payables, why don't you help him with the marketing aspect. If he's just starting out, I'm sure he can use help with this.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 12:43 pm
My husband is an electrician and I don't get involved in his business. He has friends whose wives tried to do their "office work" and they ended up getting in fights over it. For me, my shalom bayis is more important. But if you guys think you can handle the pressure, you can help him with his billing, paperwork, and marketing (maybe set up an instagram account for him...)

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 12:52 pm
my husband is a handman and I actually love doing the work, the computer and whatever he asks for. he has experience in this line for close to 20 yrs and it works well for both of us. the only thing is sometimes I want time alone and that doesnt happen when it . I work around his schedule.

MGmom

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 1:43 pm
I agree with amother above about saving relationship for marriage and not work related .I absolutely admire you and understand that you only mean Well and want to help him. But in the long run business is business and it has its ups n downs and when you share too much it effects other parts of ur life... Been there done that. I'm happy to see dh after a long day away and hard work.... I'm There to support him and listen and just be an outsider with his work politics.

Good luck though! Getting alone on your toes is a tough and rewarding journey!

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 4:51 pm
Definitely take a quick course online in quickbooks or use youtube if you can't figure it out alone it is the best program and really easy to use.

If you guys can handle it together it definitely makes a good business to have someone taking care of the business side of things (ie finances). My dh has customers who spend all day working and tell him that from 8 pm to 3 am they work on their books and it is really hard for them.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 6:33 pm
I work for my husband and it works out great. His employees warned him when I started that he's crazy for doing it but it really works out best for both of us. I get to work from home, have an easy boss and let me tell you, I'm like a lion when it comes to collections. This is MY MONEY we are talking about!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics