Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What are toxins?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:27 pm
I see the word toxins tossed around all the time.
detox diets, toxins in things,
can someone explain what exactly are toxins?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:31 pm
You don't have access to a dictionary?

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 4:35 pm
Your kidneys naturally rid your body of toxins. The best and healthiest way to speed up the process is to increase your water intake. Most claims from diets and pills are a load of bull. Water is your best friend when it comes to detoxifying your body.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:37 pm
I still don't understand what toxins actually are though.
Is it another way of saying poison?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:48 pm
I remember that when my father, may he rest in peace, was diagnosed with kidney cancer, the doctors told us that it was the toxins produced by the cancer rather than the tumor itself that would kill him. I took that to mean that as these cells metabolized nutrients, they had end products or waste products that would be excreted into the blood stream. This in turn would interfere with normal cell function.

I would imagine that some substances that get into the bloodstream, either through eating, breathing, or contact with the skin, cannot be metabolized properly and interfere with normal functioning. Lead is a good example and BPA is another.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 29 2015, 10:47 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxin

Google is your friend.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 4:32 am
As this is a safe haven, no one will differentiate between actual known toxins that are recognised and treated by conventional medicine (and are the subject of much good quality research) and those treated by alternative practitioners, and if I give any kind of scientific answer it will be shouted down by those who prefer to use homeopathy and other alternative practices such as colonic flushes or sweat therapy to rid the body of "toxins".

Wrong place to ask.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 5:16 am
Frumdoc wrote:
As this is a safe haven, no one will differentiate between actual known toxins that are recognised and treated by conventional medicine (and are the subject of much good quality research) and those treated by alternative practitioners, and if I give any kind of scientific answer it will be shouted down by those who prefer to use homeopathy and other alternative practices such as colonic flushes or sweat therapy to rid the body of "toxins".

Wrong place to ask.

So in other words, they're going to yell "No science allowed!" and wave sage smoke at us to banish our negative vibes. Wink

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 9:38 am
I would say that even from a conventional medical standpoint, it is well recognized that some medications could reach a level of toxicity that damages the body. One example is acetaminophen. Over the counter cold remedies have it in large doses and it has been known to become toxic to the liver. In some cases, where patients are on lots of medications, the kidneys and the liver cannot metabolize all of them at the same time and toxicity results. Any one on here with BPD and who takes lithium probably has levels drawn to make sure that they are not receiving a toxic dose.

From an alternative medicine standpoint, the body is bombarded regularly with environmental toxins that need to be eliminated. The practitioners test blood, hair, and maybe urine to determine if there is a build-up of toxins. The person seeking this kind of treatment is usually feeling some sort of discomfort that leads him to seek treatment and if the treatment works, the price is right, and the patient is satisfied, then why argue with it? If any treatment could lead to more illness, be it conventional or alternative treatment, today it is up to the consumer to do his or her research.

It is up to the seeker of the treatment to research the pros and cons, just like it is up to the seeker of conventional treatments to know all the ins and outs. I am not a consumer of alternative treatments but I would have to agree that over 140,000 Americans a year die from medical errors so although I put my trust in conventional medicine, I am always on the lookout for mistakes.

morah

Post Fri, Jan 30 2015, 9:58 am
MiracleMama wrote:
You don't have access to a dictionary?

Oh please. I think we all know the dictionary definition of toxins, that doesn't mean everyone agrees on what constitutes a toxin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics