Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Till what age do your kids give mishloach manos?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:09 pm
Until what age do your kids give mishloach manos to their friends?

precious

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:29 pm
Until they are no longer a kid?? Then they give as a teen or adult.

Why would they stop?

luppamom

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:37 pm
I was also confused about this. Til they're 120, I hope.

I guess once their over bar/bas mitzvah, they are responsible for their own, but IIRC, they can be koneh some of yours AYLOR.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:
Until what age do your kids give mishloach manos to their friends?
amother can you explain what you mean? I would think it was the other way around that as they git older they gave to more and more friends. not stopped giving.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:52 pm
OP here. Sorry I'm not clear. My teenager told me that last year when he dropped off one of his mishloach manot by a friend the mother started screaming at him and calling him a baby for bringing mishloach manot and asked him when he and her son will grow and stop this. So I am wondering is it normal for a teenage boy to give out mishloach manot to his friends or he should on give his Rebbe and teachers.

momX4

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. Sorry I'm not clear. My teenager told me that last year when he dropped off one of his mishloach manot by a friend the mother started screaming at him and calling him a baby for bringing mishloach manot and asked him when he and her son will grow and stop this. So I am wondering is it normal for a teenage boy to give out mishloach manot to his friends or he should on give his Rebbe and teachers.

The mom seems to be unhealthy. I wouldve called the rebbe to make sure the friend receives help.

Tell your ds that is isnt the norm (what that mom said) since everyone gives.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:55 am
amother wrote:
as momx said, it is not your son who is not normal. this mother seemed to have a bee in her bonnet. nothing wrong with giving mishloach manot to friends until 120.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 1:07 am
amother wrote:

How strange! This woman is definitely not normal. Giving MM is a mitzvah -- why on earth would one "grow out" of doing a a mitzvah??? In any case, since screaming at someone who comes to bring MM is not normal behavior under any circumstances, that should just prove to you that this women is not "100%" and therefore should not be taken seriously.

FWIW -- my husband works in a boys yeshiva (high school and post high school age), and the boys most definitely give each other MM -- as do all the high school aged girls that I know.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 5:56 am
amother wrote:

What the ...?

abound

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:18 am
Tell your son to def give this friend again, with his mom like this, I am sure he can use the boost.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:05 am
amother wrote:

I think the issue is the mother, not your ds. The woman was clearly not playing with a full deck that day. maybe she was stressed out from having to answer the constantly ringing doorbell, or resented having to shell out precious cash for MM for all the classmates of her 17 children, or had just received a whopping dentist's bill for filling her kids' cavities and here they were being inundated with more tooth poison in the form of brightly-colored sugary goods, or maybe she was coming down with the flu and didn't know it yet, or, or, or.

ETA If I had to choose one and not a combo, my vote would be the cash issue, because she said "when will you AND MY SON grow up..." So she had a problem with her son giving to others, too. Why would this bother her unless either it was costing her money that she could not afford or thought she could not afford, or it was "costing" her work, IOW she was doing all the work for her ds MM and she was sick of it? Assuming, of course, that she was mentally OK, which is doubtful. Her reaction was bizarre, even if she was coming down with the flu and worried about making the rent and paying the dentist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics