Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Magic mill

rydys

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:39 pm
I just bought a magic mill to make challa, I have been doing so by hand thus far. My problem is the kneading and mixing. I put in the liquid ingredients, then add the flour, like I always do. However, once the dough forms it stops mixing and just seems to spin around in circles. This happens once the dough gets thick, even before all the flour is mixed in.

Does anyone else have this problem, and what do you do about it? I have tried it with the mixer and with the dough hook and get the same result.

TwinMama

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:44 pm
Mazel tov on your new purchase! I find that if I put less flour that helps maintain good dough consistency.
Do you keep the spatula in as well? If not, definitely try that.
When I first got mine I watched a few instructional videos - that also helped.
Hatzlocho

Shoelover

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 4:46 pm
Move the piece w the grooved more towards the middle when u add all the flour and use the scraper

rydys

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 6:15 pm
I had it in the center. The dough formed a nice "donut" around the grooved piece and spun around. any other ideas?

dhm

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 6:30 pm
I use the dough hook with the scraper. It does form a ball but the dough hook slowly turns it and it mixes it through and through. Once all the ingredients are in I set the timer all the way up(I think it's 18 min) and let it go all the way. I have this machine for 13 years and make challah almost every week and it comes out great.

rydys

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:37 pm
how long does it take to mix in all the flour? do you add it in one go or do you add it a little at a time?
my recipe calls to add 10 cups of flour and mix, then another 2, then another 2. by the time I add the first 10, it is already a dough and I cant get it to mix in even another 1 cup

Shoelover

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:14 pm
I start out w the round piece on the side and the scraper. I first put all the liquids and then I keep adding flour. Once I see that the dough gonna go out of the bowl I move the round piece more towards the middle

granolamom

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 3:42 pm
I have a magic mill, I put in half the water, half the flour, then the rest of the water and the rest of the flour cup by cup. I use the dough hook, have not thought to use the scraper with it. I set the dough hook about two inches in from the edge of the bowl when I start.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen