Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
So, as so many of you are from NY....
Previous  1  2

mimivan

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 10:17 pm
shanie5 wrote:
and then, if u moved out of ny, u end up in an arguement that goes like this:

Them "so you're from the city?"
Me: "no, I'm from Brooklyn"
Them: "that's the city"
Me: "no, the city is manhattan, I'm from Brooklyn"
Them: "isnt Brooklyn part of New York City"
Me: "technically, yes"
Them: "so you're from the city"
Me: " no, I'm from brooklyn, manhattan is the city"

And round and round we go.....................

Rolling Laughter Had exactly the same conversation when I first moved to NY (4 years before I ended up in E.Y)...The conversation ended with "Oh mimi! You're such a greenhorn!!!"

Ima'la

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 1:44 am
chavamom wrote:
chen wrote:
withhumor wrote:
Monsey, Monroe, New Square etc. are in ‘Upstate NY”.

Only to those living in the 5 boros. Those from Syracuse, Albany, Rochester, Binghamton, Buffalo et. al. would laugh their kishkes out to think of Monsey as Upstate. Upstate is Lake Placid, maybe.

I was thinking the same thing - laughing that Rockland and Orange Counties would be considered "upstate"! Albany, Rochester - THAT'S "upstate". Places where they see 30 in of snow and Winter lasts from October to May.

Can't forget a conversation with my ils before I was married...They said something was "upstate NY." I said, "Oh, I thought it was Westchester!" "Yeah, Westchester, that's it - I knew it was somewhere upstate" Rolling Eyes By those standards, Monsey's practically in Vermont!

Green, that is exactly what I was going to say!!!!

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 3:33 am
Quote:
Some of us actually do own cars. Not me. I pick up the phone and call in my order and it gets delivered to me. Fish, Meat, Veggies, and Groceries all from separate stores (there's one large store that has all of that but somehow I got used to doing it the old fashioned way) Or I go walking to the store and order my stuff then tell them to deliver it! Or shlep it if it isn't too much. I would go to the big store but it's too far for me to walk. I miss how there's so many large supermarkets in CA though.

There's a thing called the bus which takes the kids to school. Or some parents take their kids but we don't have a car so DD better get on that bus!

Now that I live in a more suburban area, I really miss living in New York for those aspects.

Imagine, no carpool! And if you walk to the stores, you meet all your friends so it is a real social experience.

Oh, and piper, at least in ch lots of people don't have driveways or garages so if you do own a car, you will spend half your life moving it from one side of the street to another. And you can't use it after a certain time at night or you won't be able to find a parking space.

withhumor

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 6:10 am
Piper wrote:
our house backs up into an open space of untouched land. Complete with coyotes, snakes, the occasional tarantula.
Yesterday a squirrel came dangerously close to my front door, we nearly died.

gryp

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 6:14 am
We don't have a car, we rent when we need one. If we had one we would spend our whole life moving from one side of the street to the other for street cleaning or finding a parking space.
One day IYH if we ever need one, we'll buy one. Until then it's a money-waster. Between the car itself, gas, insurance, repairs and upkeep, plus parking, cleaning, speeding/parking tickets, no thanx! we'll walk to the corner. Wink

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 6:48 am
Ima'la wrote:

what else is new - eh?!

Oh and in NY we took the bus and train everywhere ... my kids want heck "need" a ride 2 blocks down ... what's up with that!!!

Last edited by greenfire on Mon, Apr 16 2007, 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 16 2007, 6:49 am
I grew up in surburbia too. It's a very different life!

Ima'la

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:26 am
greenfire wrote:
Ima'la wrote:

what else is new - eh?!

Oh and in NY we took the bus and train everywhere ... my kids want heck "need" a ride 2 blocks down ... what's up with that!!!

Yes!!! DH and I were once leaving my parents' house to go somewhere (by car) but I wanted to pick something up from the optomotrist first...I said to DH, it's really close, don't laugh at me for driving there...my Brooklynite DH couldn't believe it when I parked 2 blocks later!!! Yes, I drove 2 blocks! (And I've sometimes driven there even when I wasn't getting in the car anyway to go somewhere further!)

chen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:50 am
Having spent my formative years in NYC I walk everywhere. It's so amusing to go somewhere new and ask how to get to the whatever. I always ask if it's walking distance. If they say no, I ask how far it is in miles. Often I'll say, "well, that's walking distance". They usually look at me as if I'm crazy. I always say "I'm from NY, I walk everywhere."

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 12:35 pm
there was once an article about a woman who was going to do what she called the "amish diet" ... so she ate a huge breakfast, etc ... did everything on foot ... I forget all the details ... but she actually lost weight

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:06 pm
Green, how about a link? I would enjoy that!

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 1:19 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Green, how about a link? I would enjoy that!

I read it in a magazine last year ... I don't remember which ... or the details ... but it was kool ... if I come across again ... I'll fill you in

chen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 4:13 pm
greenfire wrote:
there was once an article about a woman who was going to do what she called the "amish diet" ... so she ate a huge breakfast, etc ... did everything on foot ... I forget all the details ... but she actually lost weight

considering that Amish women easily walk 40,000 steps every day (I'm not making this up, it came from a study of physical activity comparing different groups of people--they wore pedometers all day for the duration of the study)and the average woman who is not a letter carrier or professional dog walker had trouble making it to 5,000, it's no surprise that she lost weight.

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 9:59 pm
I love that we don't need a car to get around

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 10:49 pm
NY2434 wrote:
I love that we don't need a car to get around

well ... considering all the bumber to bumper traffic ... it is actually quicker to walk

when I worked in manhattan ... I actually had to dodge walkers as if they were cars ... there were so many people running around - it is a learned technique

chen

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 8:20 am
greenfire wrote:
I actually had to dodge walkers as if they were cars ... there were so many people running around - it is a learned technique

Quite. I had the knack years ago but now I can't hack the crowds at all.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 8:54 am
chen wrote:
greenfire wrote:
I actually had to dodge walkers as if they were cars ... there were so many people running around - it is a learned technique

Quite. I had the knack years ago but now I can't hack the crowds at all.

Oh believe me ... I have long forgotten as well ... I hyperventilate in NY now!!! Once after 2 years of living away ... I was in BP ... literallly asking myself ... and why do I like shopping ... in hectic insane chaos ... went to visit my grandmother instead ... so much more rewarding ...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics