Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What wine to buy for mm for non frum person

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:59 pm
I'm giving mm to a non frum person that I owe a lot to. I want to spend about $20 on the wine, can do a bit more/less if necessary. I am a total non drinker, would prob buy moscato or something for a frum person but not sure what's "normal" outside the frum world.

Guidance please!

Thanks

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:10 pm
Maybe more mainstream varietals like Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon for red, Sauvignon blanc for white (personally I'm not a fan of Chablis). Just make sure they're mevushal. Or skip wine and just buy some liquor like amaretto or irish cream or sabra.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:12 pm
Moscato dasti is becoming popular in non frum segments, and lots of people like it. But if the person is a foodie or wino get a nice red like a Merlot or Cabernet. Ask the guy in the liquor store what's good in your price range.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 8:17 pm
How do I decide if I should buy red or white? And I have no idea if she's a foodie or wino! What's my safest bet? Please narrow this down for me!

mille

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 9:09 pm
Goose Bay Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc are both rated very highly by wine critics even among the non-kosher world. If you are worried that she is a wine fan and kosher wine of a similar quality to non kosher doesn't have the same price point (meaning a $10 non kosher bottle is the same as a $25 kosher bottle in terms of quality), those might be a good bet. I can get the Sauvignon Blanc here for around $18, but the Pinot Noir is around $24. They are very excellent.

Otherwise, Bartenura Moscato is popular even in non kosher crowds as well. It's just not particularly highly regarded by the true wine "connoisseur" crowd. I think either would be a good choice!

Hm, also Barkan Merlot/Argaman also comes to mind. It's a nice price point at around $12-15 a bottle. It's a red, and it's not too sweet or too dry. It's a good balance if you don't know if someone is a wine drinker but want to give red (which I think is more "classic").

Edit: I realize now you might be ok with buying non kosher wine for this person? I assumed kosher because when I hear "non frum person" I assume Jewish, but not frum. In that case I agree with asking the liquor store clerk for a good bottle at your price point.

STovah

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:16 pm
Off topic, but Mille, just curious where you get the Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc for $18. That is my go-to white but haven't seen it so cheap.

mille

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:40 pm
STovah wrote:
Off topic, but Mille, just curious where you get the Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc for $18. That is my go-to white but haven't seen it so cheap.

Shoprite liquor store usually, or a local little liquor store in the town where I work. I'm in NJ so my options for purchasing alcohol are really really limited. What do you usually get it for?

STovah

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 8:48 am
mille wrote:
Shoprite liquor store usually, or a local little liquor store in the town where I work. I'm in NJ so my options for purchasing alcohol are really really limited. What do you usually get it for?

I searched online just before and that seems to be the going price. My local liquor store has just been ripping me off. Time to shop elsewhere embarrassed

iggie1029

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:30 pm
Teal Lake (I think that is the brand name) makes a really nice Shiraz
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics