Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My son was diagnosed with add

chouli

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 4:05 am
So after running from dr to therapists to find out what is "wrong" with my son, I finally got him diagnosed with add. I somehow feel relieved. Before I was always told that I just need to be more strict etc.
He may get retalin, soon. What are your expriences with it? I hope that it will really help him. And also his siblings..

Thanks

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 7:19 am
Welcme to our world!

What you are likely to see if a calm and focus when the meds are at the right strength.

The parent experience can be like there was music blaring in the background and someone finally shut it off, and you see how much more you can get done without the constant drain.

But often, the time when the med wears off ("rebound effect") is worse than the way things are now.

And he may have difficulty getting to sleep at nights. Ask your doctor about melatonin.

Feel free to post as you continue this journey!

supermom3

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 7:45 am
It also may affect his appetite so keep an eye on it (maybe a larger breakfast before he takes it). Some kids hate it cause they feel they're too calm when they want to have fun. Two weeks will give you enough of an evaluation. Ask his teacher too.

energy booster

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 7:54 am
Ritalin wears off, so the earlier you give the easier he will be able to fall asleep.
Be prepared he will lose a ton of weight. I would recommend you talk to a nutritionist to make sure that with the little food he will eat he will still get the nutrition the body needs. It is important for their growth.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 8:06 am
I heard that ritalin can causeand or trigger epilepsy, mental illness, and heart problems... is this true?

rosenbal

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 8:27 am
Yes, sleep and appetite are likely to be affected so try to work on your son knowing he needs to eat to keep his body healthy and not because he feels like it. For him it's a mitzvah to eat. My son often eats an extra meal or snacks later in the evening (close to bedtime) because his appetite come back then. Look into Melatonin for sleep.

I was so relieved when it was "only" adhd! I kept thinking my son had some deep seated emotional issues and he was seeong a psychologist for years but I didnt even why! Adhd is such a "technical" issue (though if untreated can have emotional ramifications).

My son still sees a psychologist biweekly. We do still work on various behavioral strategies in and out of school. When he's a teen, we'll probably hire an adhd coach. Its a journey and they need our support. But....all in all its such a relief. Just to know and understand and how to parent and how to view your son and how to let go. It's all just smoother.

chouli

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:27 am
Thanks for your input. I will keep you updated
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)