Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
What else do you buy at Costco?
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:24 am
Thanks all.

Two more questions:
1. Do you need membership card to get in the door, or just to check out? Because with so many things to look for (including possibly clothes - what kind of clothes do you find there?) I feel like it would be awkward to do all my shopping WITH my member-friend. I could go ahead and ask her to meet me later. I'll be shopping for a family yomtov (albeit a small family and not all of yomtov) while my benevolent Costco member lives more or less alone, will definitely not be hosting her own sedarim, you get the idea, I don't want to kill her whole day. (speaking of which, about how long does it take you to make it through this place?! And my nearest Costco which is still not actually so near is in the same center as my nearest Target where there are things I need and also has a couple of other stores I would love to check out but do have closer locations... this is either going to be a crazy shopping day or I will have to split it up.)

2.A few of you mentioned almond butter - do you have one nearby you can check or happen to know if it says processed with other tree nuts? We have an allergy to tree nuts EXCEPT almonds (peanuts also fine) so it would be exciting if there is an almond butter that isn't contaminated. We barely get a chance to take advantage of our one non-allergic nut because of all the mixed manufacturing.

smss

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:33 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks all.

Two more questions:
1. Do you need membership card to get in the door, or just to check out? Because with so many things to look for (including possibly clothes - what kind of clothes do you find there?) I feel like it would be awkward to do all my shopping WITH my member-friend. I could go ahead and ask her to meet me later. I'll be shopping for a family yomtov (albeit a small family and not all of yomtov) while my benevolent Costco member lives more or less alone, will definitely not be hosting her own sedarim, you get the idea, I don't want to kill her whole day. (speaking of which, about how long does it take you to make it through this place?! And my nearest Costco which is still not actually so near is in the same center as my nearest Target where there are things I need and also has a couple of other stores I would love to check out but do have closer locations... this is either going to be a crazy shopping day or I will have to split it up.)

that's a good question Smile
when you walk in the door, they have someone there checking for cards. in practice, you just flash your card at them and I really don't think they look. I feel like you could flash any old CC at them and they wouldn't notice. to check out, they do inspect/scan your card.

costco is a HUGE store. if you're looking for many things, or you want to see everything, you'll be there for a while, maybe 1-2 hours depending on how quick of a shopper you are in general. also, sometimes there are long lines (sundays mostly, I find).

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:21 am
1-2 hours actually doesn't sound half bad, I can get lost in Target that long pretty easily if I have the stamina. The question is if I have stamina for Target and Costco at the same time since they're in the same place, not that easy to get to, and I want things in both (I like Target's store brands for many things) I'm not super quick, but I do have a list (thanks to this thread especially) but OTOH I may want to also do some browsing about clothes and home goods.

smss

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:39 am
seeker wrote:
1-2 hours actually doesn't sound half bad, I can get lost in Target that long pretty easily if I have the stamina. The question is if I have stamina for Target and Costco at the same time since they're in the same place, not that easy to get to, and I want things in both (I like Target's store brands for many things) I'm not super quick, but I do have a list (thanks to this thread especially) but OTOH I may want to also do some browsing about clothes and home goods.

I guess this always varies by location, but I think costco is bigger than target. also, I find it hard to find things in costco. their aisles are not labeled by contents, and there are very few employees around (though if you do manage to track one down they always seem to know where to find stuff). that's just my experience though, may be different elsewhere...

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:44 am
Yeah that's what I expected, which is why I thought 1-2 hours sounded pretty good... maybe you're a very efficient shopper Wink Hopefully my list will help!

smss

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 2:01 am
seeker wrote:
Yeah that's what I expected, which is why I thought 1-2 hours sounded pretty good... maybe you're a very efficient shopper Wink Hopefully my list will help!

by nature I'm not, but sometimes I have to be, so I've sort of figured out how Wink
good luck & enjoy!

SorGold

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:00 am
Sparkle wrote:
Shmura Matzah
Kedem grape juice
diapers and wipes
Toilet paper
Paper cups (plates I have found elsewhere cheaper)
Pure organic maple syrup (fine according to many for Pesach)
Unrefined coconut oil (also fine according to many for Pesach)
extra Virgin olive oil
Smoked wild salmon
Gluten free crackers (obviously not for Pesach)
Mini cucumbers - my kids eat them like candy
Lettuce
Bell Peppers
Baby carrots
Medjool dates
Avocadoes
cuties (those small tangerines)
Pure vanilla extract
yeast for challah
Sometimes mine carries raw honey, but their regular honey is a good quality honey as well
Almond butter
Frozen fruit
Ice pops with food dyes (seasonal)
Shredded cheese
Canned Wild salmon and tuna
foil pans
parchment paper
aluminum foil

FWIW, My costco sells Carrington farms coconut oil with star k hechsher. I emailed the star k and they said rav heineman said no coconut oil under star k is acceptable for pesach this year. They boldes the "no oil" part.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:50 am
I think if you have never been in Costco it is going to take longer. Once you have been in the store and have a feeling of what is in what aisle, even if you ramble and browse, you have some sort of inkling how much attention to pay to any aisle, and it takes shorter...

mirror

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:59 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think if you have never been in Costco it is going to take longer. Once you have been in the store and have a feeling of what is in what aisle, even if you ramble and browse, you have some sort of inkling how much attention to pay to any aisle, and it takes shorter...

It also depends on how crowded it is. The week before any major non-Jewish holiday it's much more crowded.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 6:24 pm
Does anyone know if the Costcos around Phila have all these kosher items?

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:55 pm
Our Costco has a huge kosher section!!! We are fortunate. But I buy other things in addition: tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, cat food, cat litter, garbage bags, zip lock bags, cleaning supplies...that sort of stuff.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:01 pm
Is there a way to check online which ones carry the kosher things? My guess is that mine would but it would be nice to know - if they don't, I'll need to do some kosher buying in kosherville before I get to Costco.

mommyla

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:30 am
If you don't want to have to worry about time constraints, ask your friend to buy you a Costco gift card. You don't have to be a member to use it and you can shop on your own schedule!

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 12:50 am
That is good to knows! I never heard that before. Does it work the same as a membership card, or is there different pricing/return policy/whatever for members?

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 11:05 am
Just realized the gift card idea isn't so practical because I don't know how much money I'll need... oh well, it was a nice thought.

mommyla

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 11:19 am
seeker wrote:
Just realized the gift card idea isn't so practical because I don't know how much money I'll need... oh well, it was a nice thought.

You can overestimate and go back a different time to use it up or sell it back to your friend to use... but no, it's not the perfect solution.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 11:26 am
Yes, but having NEVER shopped there before it is hard to even estimate... After borrowing all your shopping lists, I'm not going to also ask for price checks on everything before going!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains