Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is a baby sling/wrap okay in Boro Park?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:57 am
We don't live in the US but are planning a trip to Boro Park. This will be my first time there with a baby and I realized -- in past trips there I've only ever seen babies in carriages. Is baby wearing just not the trend or is it viewed as problematic in some way? I always wear my baby and I don't mind being different, but I don't want to be offensive.

Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:03 am
For some reason, baby wearing isn't very popular in Boro Park, but Afaik there's no hashkafic issue with it. Do whatever you're comfortable with!

asmileaday

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:24 am
I can't imagine it being offensive.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:04 am
No one will get offended, but if they did, they are obviously not a normal person, so why would you go by their feelings?

rising hero

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:06 am
In boro park it's monkey-see-monkey-do or monkey-don't-see-monkey-dont-do in this situation. For some reason it's not a 'thing'...dont get caught into it. Do what's best for you; whatever you want.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 11:17 am
I wore my baby in a carrier in Boro Park when I visited. Yes, I was the only one and I did feel a bit out of place, but I also got many positive comments and interest in the carrier. They thought it was so nice, they were thinking of getting, etc.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:44 pm
Madam F. wrote:
In boro park it's monkey-see-monkey-do or monkey-don't-see-monkey-dont-do in this situation. For some reason it's not a 'thing'...dont get caught into it. Do what's best for you; whatever you want.

This. Go ahead and do what works for you. If the natives think it odd or unattractive, too bad on them. Consider yourself fortunate to be in a position not to have to care what they think. I feel truly sorry for people who live in circles where you have to worry about pushing the "right" stroller, wearing the "right" styles, serving the "right" foods and so on. G-d gave us 613 commandments that we MUST observe; everything else is optional.

abound

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:46 pm
THere is no hashkafic issue but it is not done culturally. I walked the streets there with a baby wrap though and did not care, it was best for my baby. Yes people might eye you.............so if that makes a difference to you then you need to decide.

nyer1

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:47 pm
so interesting - I don't live in boro park but I am there on occasion because my husband works in the area. I never even thought about the fact that I've never seen anyone wearing a baby carrier (outside the home) there before-- but now that you mention it, I realize that I've never seen it! how funny. but I don't see why anyone should or would be offended by it. do what works for you. who knows.. maybe you'll start a new trend!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:08 pm
I lived in Brooklyn when I had my first baby and I used to go everywhere including boro park with my baby carrier. My baby hated the stroller and it was the only way he'd behave. Sometimes I would wear a baby carrier and push a stroller in case he would fall asleep in the carrier and then I'd transfer him to the stroller. You gotta do what you gotta do. I almost always got a comment (usually positive).

black sheep

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:17 pm
I have worn my baby in boro park. there is no issue with it at all, halachic, hashkafic, or trend-wise.

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:16 pm
The only halachic objection I can think of is it would be carrying if you don't use the eruv. But then you wouldn't be using a stroller at that time anyway...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics