Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Forgot to put my Schlissel in my Schlissel Challah :(
1  2  Next

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:42 am
Didn't know where to post this - Pesach? Challah recipes? Finanaces? Emotional health?

Well while looking for a past thread about Schlissel Challah I actually came across a thread on Life In Israel from a past year where like this year, the last day of Pesach was Friday us Israeli had to keep another Chametz Free day which was Shabbat (BTW, we're a Parsha ahead of Chu"l - don't know when you catch up but if I go to Chu"l now, I can sleep late on Shabbat morning Very Happy ). This was that post
Quote:
What happens to the shlissel challa segula this year? Did it apply to the Shabbos just past (and therefore we can't do it) or can we still do it for the Shabbos coming?

That thread ended assuring us Israelis that we still get the chance to make schlissel Chalah this week.

Now, I'm not into Chumras. I don't shape my Challah like a schlissel, I just wrap a key in foil and bake it in. Being that I was so distracted by baking Challah again after a long break I totally forgot to hide my key inside. So now what do I do??? We really need the segula for good parnasa Sad . What if I just hide it under the Challah and DH acts surprised when he finds it? Will it affect my segula?

supty

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:51 am
I heard a Rav say last night that the point of the segulah is that it should remind you to daven for parnassah. The key in your challah won't magically make you rich, but davening to Hashem for parnassah might. I don't think any Rav would say that forgetting to put the key in your challah will negatively affect your parnassah...

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:53 am
I think you need to go to the grave of the holy r eli melech of lizenkz and cry and fast all day

Last edited by naturalmom5 on Fri, Apr 17 2015, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

supty

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:14 am
Oops was this a joke? 😳

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:21 am
I very often stick it in the the already baked challah.

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:35 am
supty wrote:
Oops was this a joke? 😳
Not a joke. I didn't learn much Hashkafa in HS cause mine was very different that theirs but one teacher said something that always stays in my head - She said, Why not do it? She was talking more that don't say I'm not going to wash cause I know I won't end up bensching anyway, So at least wash (maybe that wasn't exactly her example). So I figure, if I'm baking Challah anyway, Why not put a key in? (at least it livens up the meal). I think of this key more like buying a lottery ticket for Parnassa. I'd never buy more than one, but You gotta be in it, to win it. can't hope for a miracle if I don't at least make the effort

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:37 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I think you need to go to the grave of the holy r eli melech of lizenkz and cry and fast all day
Can't, Shabbat is in an hour and a half - I don't even have time to bake another Challah

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
I very often stick it in the the already baked challah.
How can you put it in a baked Challah and keep the Challa whole?

Last edited by Sanguine on Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:40 am
Just out the key on top when your husband makes the bracha.
I never make challah, but we haad a sleep over guest over pesach (a neighbor's relative) and the wife came over today to give us a thank you gift and it was shlissel challah with the key bit being a peice of dough baked on the outside of the challah (ill try to take a picture if I can)
Dont fret. out the key with the challah when you can. and daven and do the correct hishtadlut for trying to find a job.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:52 am
Sanguine wrote:
How can you put it in a baked Challah and keep the Challa whole?

If a chunk of challah is missing then challah is not shaleim. If key is pushed in and no challah pieces pulled out it is still shaleim.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 10:54 am
http://I.imgur.com/hYVbURi.jpg

Sanguine

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 11:05 am
Being that I'm still choosing which key to use, I think I'll use the key to our safe as a hint. It's like taking Tylenol, How does it know if my head or toe hurts?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 12:01 pm
Don't worry about it. Many actually purposely don't do it as they hold it has traces of AZ in the minhag. My husband reminded me not to do it.

bandcm

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:00 pm
Thanks for reminding me!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:10 pm
Anon because I mentioned this somewhere else. I made a fancy key shaped challah and it broke! I'm not gonna read anything into that Wink
The main thing is it should make you think of Who holds the keys to parnasa. And the man, which stopped at this time of year. Open up a siddur and say tefillas haman. Think about it. This is the greatest segula.
May you see yeshuos and kol mishalos libech answered ltovah!

granolamom

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
Don't worry about it. Many actually purposely don't do it as they hold it has traces of AZ in the minhag. My husband reminded me not to do it.

this. a couple of years ago I came across an article explaining how this 'minhag' may have come about. there is reason to daven for parnossa specifically this week, and since bread = parnossa many are mispallel when they are mafrish challah.
the 'key' likely came from the crescent buns (iirc) that were baked in celebration of easter (often coincided with this shabbos) and were shaped like a cross or had a cross made of dough baked onto it, which also happened to look very much like the keys of that time period. there's a nice tefilla that some say on motzei shabbos about asking hashem to open the gates of (among other things) parnossa, and its possible that some figured open gates, key, parnossa, challah, shabbos after pesach, put it all together and there ya have it, shlissel challah.
it was a while since I read the article and I dont have access to it now, so I may be mistaken on some of the details. it was an interesting perspective. at that point I figured its not a magic of the key that helps but Hashem so I skip the key thing and just pray.
whatever the origins, I wouldnt get all hung up on the actual key. there's no halacha here, at best its a loose minhag/segula.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 3:58 pm
granolamom wrote:
...the 'key' likely came from the crescent buns (iirc) that were baked in celebration of easter (often coincided with this shabbos) and were shaped like a cross or had a cross made of dough baked onto it, which also happened to look very much like the keys of that time period. ...

My son calls shlissel challah "Hot Cross Buns!" Wink
With comments like that, well, no, I didn't make shlissel challah this year.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 5:04 pm
Just saw this. I know it doesn't help you, but figured I'd share: https://instagram.com/p/1iF8XkyWtV/

And on a humorous note:

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 8:09 am
When I first heard the AZ connection, well, I found it disconcerting. I've seen been assured that the concept of minhag avoseinu beyadeinu definitely applies for shlissel challah. That said, it would be interesting to do a poll of how many people actually have some sort of family minhag for this. I know I don't. And I'm not chassidish. So I do it but don't get too uptight, and definitely focus on the meaning behind it.

Sadie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 8:16 am
Why don't any of those key shaped pans have a space for the key bit? (the little flat thing at the tip that makes it look like a key- had to look up that word!)
Without it, it really makes the challah look like something else!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days