Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it ethical- selling credit

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 5:51 pm
(don't know if this in the correct section)
Is it ethical to sell a credit from a local store?
It doesn't seem like I will be using it.
It's likely that the workers there would realize that the person using it doesn't match the name on it...

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 5:57 pm
Do they sell gift cards? Maybe ask them if they can convert the credit to a gift card. That could definitely be sold.

That said, I can't imagine why the store would have the right to keep you from gifting your "money" to whomever you wish.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 5:57 pm
If you really want to know you can call the store and ask them.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:09 pm
I don't even get the question. You own the credit, why can't you give it to someone else? It wouldn't be different than buying something at the store and giving/selling it to someone else, would it?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 9:16 pm
Your credit is yours alone. It is what it is because of your financial behavior. You cannot gift your credit or a charge account. As someone up thread mentioned you can purchase gift cards and give them to another person. Remember though the account balance is still your legal responsibility.

cbsp

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:07 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Your credit is yours alone. It is what it is because of your financial behavior. You cannot gift your credit or a charge account. As someone up thread mentioned you can purchase gift cards and give them to another person. Remember though the account balance is still your legal responsibility.

I understood her to be asking about a store credit, not a credit card, ie, maybe she returned something and was given a store credit instead of a cash refund. But maybe you're correct. OP, which is it?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 10:22 pm
cbsp wrote:
I understood her to be asking about a store credit, not a credit card, ie, maybe she returned something and was given a store credit instead of a cash refund. But maybe you're correct. OP, which is it?

Thank you for another set of eyes. It will be interesting to figure out what the OP actually means.

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 1:18 am
when I get credit from big chain stores it is always given in the form of a gift card that does not have my name on and I could certainly give it to someone else.

I don't think it is unethical.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Apr 17 2015, 6:27 am
cbsp wrote:

Yup, I also thought that.

She said "credit from a local store" - not sure how that could mean anything else.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 8:09 pm
Op here.
Thanks all for taking the time to respond.
I will reiterate: credit FROM A LOCAL STORE, as stated clearly in my first post.
Don't want to be rude here, but pls don't respond until you have CLEARLY read the post.

cbsp

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.
Thanks all for taking the time to respond.
I will reiterate: credit FROM A LOCAL STORE, as stated clearly in my first post.
Don't want to be rude here, but pls don't respond until you have CLEARLY read the post.

In all fairness, I think the concept of store credit might be a local (Brooklyn, heimishe, etc) concept and not everyone may have understood that implication so "credit" may have been misconstrued to be credit card.

Did the rest of the posters answer your question/dilemma?

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:31 pm
If you want, you can attach a note to the credit slip, explaining that you are allowing someone else to use it. To me, it's the same as buying someone a gift.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 18 2015, 10:34 pm
Why is selling credit unethical? All sorts of financial instruments are based on selling credit. Banks do it. As long as there's no funny business involved (like the mortgage scandals that sent the economy down the drain in 2008), I don't see it as unethical.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette