Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What should I learn with my Husband? (I'm a Satmar Graduate)

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 11:28 pm
I'm looking to start learning with my husband more in depth about my religion. I graduated from Satmar, and I've come a long way. However, I'd like to delve deeper, learn and get to know more about Halachos and Torah in general.

I'm looking for something that is easy to read and understand (as a beginner), as well as interesting and enjoyable to learn with my husband.

Be it Chumash, Rambam etc.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks so much

bluejays

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:18 am
There are so many nice things you can do together. Dunno if you'd do English, Hebrew....

English seforim:

Garden of Emunah
Rabbi Pliskin's books
Gateways to Happiness

Hebrew seforim:

meslias yeshorim
chovos halvovos

Much hatzlacha! And kudos to you:)

5mom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:31 am
I am so impressed! Good for you.
I would start with Chumash and Rashi, if you're not familiar with it. Go through Tanach if possible (many men have not done this), then Rambam's Mishneh Torah. The Hebrew is very clear and you'll get a wide range of knowledge. The Rambam himself thought that with a Tanach and his book you have everything you need.
Another good option instead of the Rambam is the Sefer Hachinuch. It goes parsha by parsha, explaining each mitzvah as it appears. Also available in English, and a thorough but accessible work.
Best of luck!

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 12:37 am
I second the Garden of Emunah or any other of Rabbi Arush's books

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 4:29 am
get a good chumash with meforshim (artscroll has some nice ones, I also like the one by Rabbi Chaim Miller, he includes sichos from the lubavitcher rebbe if you are ok with that.)

I think Chumash and navi is a must, but learn it with mefarshim.

doctorima

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:34 am
If you want halacha, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch is available in either Hebrew or English and will give you a great broad familiarity with all areas of halacha.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:05 am
Thanks so much!!

Garden of Emunah is beautiful, as well as some of the others mentioned.

However, I'm looking to learn more in depth, so to speak. I already learn Chumash and some Rashi with my girls. Not with the boys though, I leave that to my husband, but maybe I should.

I will look into some of the suggestions, and yes, I'm OK with Sichos from Lubavitcher Rebbe zt"l. I'd love something with easy to read hebrew and with English translation, but not watered down versions. I am finally going to learn and I want the real thing!!!

I will look into Rambam's Mishneh Torah, and Sefer Hachinuch.
Can you suggest other specific suggestions, for Tanach, besides the ones above?

Thanks.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 10:25 am
In the litvishe world girls learn chumash with merforshim, like Rashi, Ramban, Kli Yakar. Using a chumash with mikreos gedolos would be helpful. But you might find it overwhelming not knowing where to start.

If you know a girls high school teacher, where they do learn this way (chumash inside a chumash), you could get a curriculum or a topic to cover.

For example, in eighth grade, my daughter was learning the aseres hadibros from Yisro, Sefer Shmos and then from Devorim as well. I was helping her with homework where we'd have to look up a question in both places in order to find out what the answer was.

Parshas B'reishis would also be very interesting to learn/re-learn with meforshim. I also remember many meforshim about Akeidas Yitzchok. Just picking a topic makes it interesting. EG - find the passuk where it says Paroh hardened his heart. I'm sure there are some very interesting meforshim on this. In high school we used to do these very long Rambans, which were challenging and interesting.

Also very enjoyable are English seforim like michtav me'eliyahu or mesillas yeshorim (English or Hebrew).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions