Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Relocating to OOT Heimishe/Chasidishe-Friendly Community

dramaqueen92

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 3:51 pm
DH is applying to PhD programs in the winter (to start in the fall of 2016), and his choices are very much tied to the frum communities in the cities that house the prospective universities. I’ve read through various posts on ImaMother about the different cities, but some of the information is outdated or not specific to our exact interests, so I’m posting to ask about some updates about the communities and what’s been left out.

To tell you a bit about us, we are Chasidish (both my husband and all of my family wear a shtreimel, as well as a long suit during the week) and currently living in Borough Park. Both DH and I come from out-of-town heimishe communities, him in America and myself in England. While we are Chasidish, we are rather open-minded. Because we are both from OOT communities, Borough Park has benefits and negatives for us, benefits mostly surrounding the expansive Chasidishe infrastructure and the negatives being tied to the same thing—not enough diversity of frum type and thought like we are used to from home. This is really important to us, as we want our kids to be raised how we were, being Chasidish but very much aware of Jewish diversity and a world existing beyond what our home is like. We currently have one child, a son under a year old. However, since DH is looking at PhD programs, we are likely to spend at least 5 years wherever we end up, and would hope to find a place that we can call home after he’s finished as well.

For PhD programs, besides looking in New York City, he’s also looking at universities in Toronto (York University and University of Toronto), Montreal (McGill), and Chicago (Loyola University and University of Chicago). Both DH and I have looked at these communities online, but I am asking for your advice as I don't know anyone living in these cities.

For Toronto, I understand that the frum community is a bit spread out, even the Chasidishe community from what it seems. Also, real estate looks to be a bit expensive. Is that the case? Is there an area where a young couple can afford to live, be it buying or renting? I know that as far as a Chasidishe cheder, Bobov exists, but is there another school with a heimishe environment that might have better English education, and a diverse atmosphere? Also, how’s the transportation in the city? Is having a car a must? Or is public transportation readily available?

In Montreal, I was wondering if there might be anyone who could tell me a bit about Reishis Chochma- Ecole Premier Mesifta du Canada. I couldn’t find much information about it. Also, as with Toronto, is there another school that might be Chasidish-friendly, while being a bit more mixed and with better secular education? And public transportation?

I’ve read quite a bit about Chicago, so I know that there isn’t necessarily a “Chasidish community” as separate from the broader West Rogers Park community, but that’s great for us. We aren’t looking for that. What I am interested in is how the Chasidish kollel community seems to be growing, if more people have moved and if more are likely to come. Also, have the dynamics in the Veitzner Cheder-Ohr Boruch changed, or are they likely to change with the influx of more Chasidishe families? And do most of the Chasidishe people daven at Kahal Chasidim (R’ Efraim Twerski’s shul), or someplace else? Also, like with the others, how is the public transportation? I know that DH would have an easier time getting to Loyola than to U of Chicago, but how’s the transportation to shopping, museums, etc?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 4:25 pm
I used to live in Montreal and really liked it there. There are definitely several schools but I moved out a while ago before getting married, so I can't give you updated information. If you live in the Outremont area, the main chassidishe neighborhood, transportation is absolutely not a problem. It's next to a more yeshivish neighborhood. You might also consider Tosh, but you have almost no diversity of people there and transportation might be more complicated as it is out of the city.

Deep

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 4:36 pm
I live in Montreal - feel free to pm me for any info. Mesivta is a fantastic boys school with a mix of chassidish/yeshivish/just plain frum families. From your description, your family would fit right in. There is no equivalent girls school. Most of the Mesivta families send their girls to Bais Yakov (some send to more chassidish schools such as Skver and Belz). Montreal is a very pedestrian-friendly city. The public transportation system (Metro and buses) is clean, reliable and super convenient. McGill is an approximate 20 minute commute from the frum neighborhoods in Outremont/ De Vimy.

dramaqueen92

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:08 pm
Thanks, I'm glad to hear some good information about Mesivta in Montreal. I will speak with DH and see if we have any Montreal-specific questions.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:09 pm
dramaqueen92 wrote:

I’ve read quite a bit about Chicago, so I know that there isn’t necessarily a “Chasidish community” as separate from the broader West Rogers Park community, but that’s great for us. We aren’t looking for that. What I am interested in is how the Chasidish kollel community seems to be growing, if more people have moved and if more are likely to come. Also, have the dynamics in the Veitzner Cheder-Ohr Boruch changed, or are they likely to change with the influx of more Chasidishe families? And do most of the Chasidishe people daven at Kahal Chasidim (R’ Efraim Twerski’s shul), or someplace else? Also, like with the others, how is the public transportation? I know that DH would have an easier time getting to Loyola than to U of Chicago, but how’s the transportation to shopping, museums, etc?

I can answer most of this. There is most definitely no chassidishe community in Chicago; but yes, it would be a chassidishe friendly community (as it is friendly to most types). The Chassidishe kollel here is still only a few years old and is still only around 10-11 yungerleit. There has been talk (for years already) of another one starting, but I don't see any real evidence of it. Khal Chassidim (Rav Twerski) has very few chassidim davening there. There really aren't many real chassidim in Chicago in total. Most either daven at Cong. Chesed L'Avrohom (the Rebbe, Rav Eichenstein) because they sponsor the Chassidishe kollel and the yungerleit are required to daven there or at Cong. Shearis Yisroel (Rav Unger), particularly those involved in the Veitzener Cheder. There are a few in Peterson Park too, who mainly daven at Cong. Ohr Yisacher Chodorov (Rav Pinchas Eichenstein).

But, don't be fooled, I highly doubt that there are 2 dozen shtreimel wearing chassidim in the entire city; probably way less, and almost all of them that are here are either affiliated with the Chassidishe Kollel or with the Veitzener Cheder. Very few others. Public transportation is okay to places like Loyola and the museums, but wouldn't be very practical for shopping. U of C is far, though. For shopping, if you live in WRP, you can probably walk to most stores (certainly grocery). For other things, if you won't have a car, you may need a taxi or a driver (or a driving friend).

But don't let me discourage you, the community is very friendly and certainly would be to a new chassidishe couple. Just make sure you understand there is no chassidishe community at all and overall Chicago is a pretty Litvishe city.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating