Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
To lease or buy a minivan?

israeli83

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:22 am
A few years ago, my husband bought a used car but it's too small for 3 car seats (I'm expecting baby #3). So we're looking into minivans now. We really like the Honda Odyssey, but we're not sure if we should actually buy it or lease it? Yes...we have monthly expenses with preschools and my husband is the one who's working (I'm a stay at home mom). Would the monthly payments be cheaper with leasing? but then I heard that when you lease a car, you're stuck with the lease and it's annoying. I also like to think that we'd "own" something if we'd buy the car, but not sure if it's wise to buy a car with one income. Any ideas? oh...and my husband prefers a new minivan than a used one so it could stay for years.

lizard8

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:31 am
Check out the lease prices they are offering now, and compare to the price of a new car. Sometimes, it is worth leasing when the price is really low.
I know a lot of people who buy a 3/4 year old car, because the market value has dropped considerably, but the car is still in great condition. After a few years, they sell it and buy a new one. This way, they always have a car in good condition that will probably not need major repairs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:19 am
You can finance a used car and get decent monthly rates for a reliable vehicle, and still own it when payments are done.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:18 am
financially I think you are best off buying a car that is a couple of years old. When you buy a new car it loses value the minute you drive it home.

Some cars age better as well so look into that.

israeli83

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:34 am
ok, thanks. If I go for used, is it better to look for certified pre-owned?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics