Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to celebrate 2 year olds birthday

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:14 pm
my delicious toddler is turning 2 and I need an idea on how to celebrate! something low key, but fun for him. last year for his first birthday we had a small family party but we dont want to do that again. so how do u celebrate a special day??

mandr

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:32 pm
Watching this thread for ideas. My baby will turn two IYH in a few months. We made him two birthday parties last year - one in our house for my family and neighbors, and one in the city where dh's siblings live.

smss

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 11:02 pm
IDK, I think a small family party is still appropriate for a 2 year old. something bigger might be overwhelming, I think...but maybe that's just me/my kids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:04 am
first birthday has been the same for all 4 of my kids
immediate family over for dinner (pizza takeout) and we hand them a cupcake

second birthday
usually the same thing but I buy a cake. if they're INTO something then I'll have the cake that way (my son was OBSESSED with cars and he went nuts seeing the car on his cake)

I'm a non-believer of birthday parties.
for each birthday it is something similar to those two ideas. We celebrate at home with close family (now the older ones are asking for a restaurant and that is fine, again with grandparents) From 3 and on they're old enough to verbalize what they want. One year my daughter's birthday fell out near purim and she asked for a moonbounce so we got her a moonbounce on purim.

In terms of them celebrating with their friends....we send a treat to school doughnut holes, cupcakes, cake, icees, danishes, etc. Whatever the child requests. They're friends are in school with them there is no need to have them come to my house to spend time in honor of my child.

My son's bar mitzva next year, G-d Willing, will be the first birthday party that will be thrown for him, and we already decided.....it will be in school!!!!! We will host breakfast on Lag B'Omer morning (we will be in Israel for him putting on tefilin) for his class/grade and have dancing in the school for him. (The school does have rules as to how you can make a party, it cant be in a hall, it has to be in the school's simcha room, etc. Either way I wouldnt be making a huge 6 hour affair with an 8 piece band)

You can make parties, have themes, invite your friends with little kids, etc. I like to keep it nice and simple and ALL ABOUT THE CHILD, not the activity, presents, etc.

Deep

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:08 am
Check this out. Build-a-Bear at home for a fraction of the price!
https://www.bdaybears.com/

seeker

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:55 am
What's wrong with the small family party? What else does a 2-year-old need? I make a special decorated cake, invite over all local relatives, whoever can make it comes (we schedule with local grandma on purpose, everyone else comes if they can/want. There are maybe 5-8 invitees in total), grandma usually brings a gift. We sing happy birthday, have cake and snacks, and open and play with the gift. Adults shmooze. Has worked out fine so far for two two-year birthdays, two one-year birthdays, one 3-year birthday, and the 4th was sort of skipped because there was a party in school and I thought I was yotze but have learned my lesson for the future embarrassed

Raisin

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 3:51 am
I don't think a 2 year old needs a big party. They are hardly aware it is their birthday! I often skip parties for that age kids (no family nearby otherwise we might do something for them) I might make a cake. My son is turning 2 and I guess I will make a cake and we will sing happy birthday.

I do make parties for my older kids for their friends at home, but I do not spend much. Probably less then on a family trip to a restaurant.

salt

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 4:41 am
Being honest here, birthday parties at that age are for the parents, not for the kids. They won't remember it. So if you want to celebrate with your immediate or wider family, do so.
Your kid will enjoy anything. Give him a cookie put a crown on his head, take a photo and say happy birthday.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:16 pm
op. thanks for replies- cant do a party because I am newly pregnant and just not up to the work of having even 5-10 ppl over... I know he doesnt really know the difference,but I feel bad not celebrating it because it is a special day!!
maybe we will just buy him an elmo cupcake and light a candle init and wrap a present for him. I also plan on sending cupcakes to his morah to give out.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:25 pm
When my DS was two his birthday fell out on shabbos so I let him pick a dessert from the grocery store. He went on and on about the birthday pie for weeks after.

Now at 4.5 its all about the presents. I miss when he just cared about cake!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:25 pm
amother wrote:
op. thanks for replies- cant do a party because I am newly pregnant and just not up to the work of having even 5-10 ppl over... I know he doesnt really know the difference,but I feel bad not celebrating it because it is a special day!!
maybe we will just buy him an elmo cupcake and light a candle init and wrap a present for him. I also plan on sending cupcakes to his morah to give out.

I love this idea.
Just make sure to take lots of pictures.
This way if he complains when he's older you can show him.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:32 pm
I've arranged local park get-togethers for my child's birthday. we bring some sports equipment (now that he's older), and a bunch of his friends come run around with him. we bring pizza, cake, drinks, fruit. one year we brought 200 water balloons and asked everyone to come in a bathing suit. we have adorable pics from his second birthday, the toddlers just sat on blankets coloring, and we brought a pack and play for the younger siblings. the adults get to sit and chat while the kids run or do a quiet activity. and you don't have to clean your house.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:45 pm
I think I saw a rule in a parenting book - invite as many (kid) guests as your childs age. So if you can invite 2 kids his age that would be a lot of fun. Don't call it a party since that creates pressure, just a playdate with cupcakes.

Beyla

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 5:46 pm
I love birthdays!!! For this age I love to plan a kind of play date on the birthday of the child. He/she has a crown, we decorate the house with balloons and I invite some mums and their babies to our home and we have a cake with candies on it and drinks! The kids play together and they sing and dance for the birthday kid, it's so cute and nice! (And cheap I homemake the cake, buy some nashes and that's it!)

I have my toddlers home so we do everything in honor of the birthday (a special tefila, special clothes, special games... ) they love it!

We also do a familly diner with a cupcake for dessert. Just the kids and us we have no family nearby. We give him a little gift then.

We also take a lot of pictures and it's such great memories.

Mazal tov!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics