Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How can I say this without being too condescending

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 12:58 pm
DS has started to tell people about his plans on eventually making aliyha as well as his army service and the response he and we get from the "older" generation is, " what about college?" I want to say- uh hellllooo there are amazing colleges in Israel- do they think the only place to get an education is in the USA- the answer to that is yes unless one decides to go to Oxford in England. Have they not heard of the incredible technology coming out of Israeli universities!! But of course we need to be respectful- any suggestions????

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 1:12 pm
eema1 wrote:
DS has started to tell people about his plans on eventually making aliyha as well as his army service and the response he and we get from the "older" generation is, " what about college?" I want to say- uh hellllooo there are amazing colleges in Israel- do they think the only place to get an education is in the USA- the answer to that is yes unless one decides to go to Oxford in England. Have they not heard of the incredible technology coming out of Israeli universities!! But of course we need to be respectful- any suggestions????

Most people in the US go to college directly from high school. They're puzzled by the idea of taking three years after high school to serve in the army, and then starting college. So more than likely, the "what about college" isn't " the colleges in Israel are sub-par," it's "are you really going to want to start college at 21?" The answer to, "what about college," then, is "I'll go to college after the army; that's the way Israelis do it."

If someone really does question the quality of the schools in Israel, he just needs to say, "there are some really top-notch schools there, but honestly, I haven't even begun to think about where I'd like to go." Or "well, if Harvard offers me a free ride, I'll probably attend and go back to Israel afterwards, but otherwise, there are some great schools in Israel."

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 1:26 pm
Do research on the programs he may be interested in and say st like "he's thinking about language studies at at Hebrew U." Or "we've looked into the engineering program At the Technion" etc etc that way it shows forethought. (also you could add st like "we're also really grateful that the state will pay his tuition." )

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 3:06 pm
Barbara wrote:
Most people in the US go to college directly from high school. They're puzzled by the idea of taking three years after high school to serve in the army, and then starting college. So more than likely, the "what about college" isn't " the colleges in Israel are sub-par," it's "are you really going to want to start college at 21?" The answer to, "what about college," then, is "I'll go to college after the army; that's the way Israelis do it."

If someone really does question the quality of the schools in Israel, he just needs to say, "there are some really top-notch schools there, but honestly, I haven't even begun to think about where I'd like to go." Or "well, if Harvard offers me a free ride, I'll probably attend and go back to Israel afterwards, but otherwise, there are some great schools in Israel."

I love the Harvard idea!!!

November

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 3:10 pm
How about "MYOB?"
Oops! Was that condescending? Sorry!

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 3:19 pm
Just answer normally. I would think most people are aware there are good colleges in Israel.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 8:38 pm
Thanks all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette