Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Margarine spill in my oven

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 5:52 pm
Margarine spilled in my oven on Friday. I waited until it cooled down, sprayed and wiped several times. However, every time I turn on my oven, smoke starts pouring out. Obviously I didn't clean it well enough.

What should I do to get all the margarine out?

Should I self-clean it? Is there a risk of the residue catching fire?

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 7:40 pm
What did you spray it with? You're not supposed to use cleaning chemicals on self-clean ovens, and fat will just laugh at water.

Can you see where the margarine spilled? If so, place some ice cubes on the margarine to solidify it. Use a dull edge like a plastic spatula or credit-card-type plastic to scrape off as much of the hardened fat as possible. As the fat melts, put on more ice cubes to to harden it again. Once you have scraped up as much as you can, use a non-abrasive nylon scrubbie or wadded-up net bag from onions with a dab of dishwashing liquid to scrub away what's left. Check your owner's manual to make sure it's ok to use soap--and use the tiniest bit possible. Then wipe off to rinse with several changes of clear water to get rid of every trace of soap residue.

ROFL

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 8:26 pm
When I spill fat in my oven I just self clean and leave the windows open si that the smoke vents out.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:14 pm
zaq wrote:
What did you spray it with? You're not supposed to use cleaning chemicals on self-clean ovens, and fat will just laugh at water.

Can you see where the margarine spilled? If so, place some ice cubes on the margarine to solidify it. Use a dull edge like a plastic spatula or credit-card-type plastic to scrape off as much of the hardened fat as possible. As the fat melts, put on more ice cubes to to harden it again. Once you have scraped up as much as you can, use a non-abrasive nylon scrubbie or wadded-up net bag from onions with a dab of dishwashing liquid to scrub away what's left. Check your owner's manual to make sure it's ok to use soap--and use the tiniest bit possible. Then wipe off to rinse with several changes of clear water to get rid of every trace of soap residue.

when the spill was fresh and the margarine was still liquidy, I put down paper towels on the bottom of the oven to absorb it. Only after doing that several times did I spray and wipe. The bottom of the oven still looks oily, though, and it looks like the spill dripped down into the heating element (there's a burn mark there) which is causing all the smoke. Is self-cleaning the only way?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jun 21 2015, 9:18 pm
You can try to sprinkle a lot of kosher salt, (regular salt works too, but kosher works better) it will absorb the grease and then you can wipe it all off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics